Marker Floats

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I've been through around 5 different types of marker float of the last year. The flights break off, the insert breaks or the swivel pulls out.

I hardly use a marker rod (because I'm mainly fishing rivers) and I'm fed up with how poorly designed and made the ones I've tried are.

Can anyone recommend something that will do for ranges up to 70 yards, is bouyant enough for use in reasonably weedy situations and might last until July or so?

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
I make my own from plastic cigar tubes and paint them yellow and black as these colours stand out best for me. If used with care they will last sometime - mine is now 10 years old and still working. The other good thing about using cigar tubes is it gives you a good excuse to smoke the contents and annoy the misses; it's the simple pleasures in life that mean so much!

C

Chris Bishop

My pike floats last forever. Surely you could make them much cheaper than you can buy them - 1cm balsa dowel and a dart flight araldited into the top.

Three coats of yacht varnish, paint the tip and job's a good 'un.

B

Big Rik

Solar Thunderbird, had mine about 4 or 5 years.
Got loads of others makes but never use them.

C

Cakey

same here ...............dunno what they make them out of but Ive trod on it smashed up against a boat and its still ok

M

Mark Hodson

Have to agree with Chris, now abandoned marker foats completely and use pike floats instead, you can get 3 for the price of one marker and they last 3 times as long.

B

Big Rik

Also what I do with mine, is to wrap black electricians tape around the base where the lead batters it, it saves it being killed.

Look at the pic in this article, dated Sept 2001, still got the same float.
Click here

Big Mart

Reaction score
MCF do the very same float as the Solar one. Marginally cheaper too.

J

jason fisher

sea float, cheep as owt and take loads of hammer. swivel in bottom and a bit of araldite to keep it there