Thrybergh opens 25th March

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Because I am over 60, I can get a concessionary season ticket for 50 visits for about ?60.00

This works out at ?1.20 a day which also allows you to take two fish!!!

And free parking on top of it.

Whooo Hooo!!

Name anywhere else in Britain that gives that sort of value in terms of quality trout fishing?

R

All I have to take is proof of I/D, a utility bill and a passport photo for my permit. Rotherham residents only!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Sounds good Ron ---
There ARE benefits of being an 'old fart'

THRYBURGH COUNTRY PARK
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fishing Season and Times of Opening

Fishing is only permitted between March 25th and October 31st.

Day Tickets: Adult ?8, Concessionary ?6

Evening Tickets: Adult ?6, Concessionary ?4

Season Permits: Adult ?145, Concessionary ?115 (this allows for 100 visits).

Car Parking: Weekday 50p, Weekend 80p

Parking with full fishing permit ?10, Concessionary ?5 (for the season).

Brown and Rainbow Trout can be caught but only a maximum of four Rainbow Trout can be taken - no Brown Trout are to be taken.

Concessionary prices are available to the following users:-

Juniors (under 16's), Persons on disability allowance (category A), and OAP's (over 60's).

R

I'll bet you would like a water like Thrybergh in Scouserland Ed.

I spent 4 afternoons there last year and caught 11 trout up to 3 1/4 lbs. Ian Cloke saw me catch two of them and will confirm what absolutely magificent fish they were. Bright silver with not a fin out of place.

Great still water angler and writer - Steve Parton loves the place.

Not easy, but one of the best medium sized still waters in Britain.

Certainly giving the very best value for money.

I

Ian Cloke

"Fishing is only permitted between March 25th and October 31st."

The season has been extended till the end of November, as from last year.

The trout at Thrybergh are in great condition, I haven't seen one with "chewed" fins, like you see in a lot of places.

Good news about the price Ron:)

I

Ian Cloke

Ron, who gave you that price? I phoned them today, they quoted a 5% rise on last years price of ?117!

R

Is that for 100 or 50 visits Ian?

I spoke to a lady there.

I

Ian Cloke

50 visits with 2 fish per visit mate, I spoke to a ranger there.

R

Still less than a pint of beer a visit though.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
Even with the increase how the Hell can a fishery stay in business at those prices? The sheer cost of stock fish alone should prevent them even breaking even? nevermind maitaining the venue.

Though I suppose it depends on the people who fish it. Is there a lot of catch and release Ron?

By the way, fished Barnsfold water in Lancashire on thurs/fri. Had 18 rainbows between 1.5 and 3.5 lbs. Some over wintered, some stockies. Returned 14 of them. Great sport on a floating line and size 16-18 black buzzers on a long leader.

R

Hi Rich,

Thrybergh belongs to Rotherham MBC and as such the recreational facilities are subsidised. The trout are stocked quite small, about 10 inches long, although a few biggies do get put in there as well. They grow out very well as the water is quite alkaline and crystal clear.

It is not run to make a profit. It is one of the sporting assets Rotherham provide for local tax payers.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
What a great fishery. Will have to try it sometime. I love the fact that they stock small. At least you know that the decent ones you catch have had a chance to grow on and get bigger naturally, and weren't put in at a decent size yesterday.

R

If you have Google Earth, have a look at it. It is just to the east of Rotherham on the Doncaster road. You can't miss it, it's L shaped and about 40 acres.

The buzzer hatches there in the warmer months are something to see. It also gets Danica hatches, lots of damsels and there are plenty of terrestrials in season such as Daddies and Hawthorn.

Boats are not allowed, however float tubes are.

It also has some huge coarse fish. 30lb pike have been taken in the past and the roach get to over 3lbs.

I

Ian Cloke

"It also has some huge coarse fish. 30lb pike have been taken in the past and the roach get to over 3lbs."

But you are not allowed to coarse fish at Thrybergh.

I

Ian Cloke

Hoping to be there on Saturday, anyone else going?? Ron perhaps??

R

Just got me ticket for the season. 50 visits allowing me to take 2 fish a visit for ?122-85. This includes car parking.

They have just stocked by the way.

I'll be on there tomorrow from about 12.00

Whoo Hooo!!

Proper fishing at last amongst gentlemen, not a group of pellet slinging bolt rigged Tidal Trent Bullies.

I

Ian Cloke

Looking forward to it Ron, I'll be there around lunch time, so we should meet up somewhere during the day:))

S

Sean Meeghan

Does it get busy Ron? Thinking of giving it a go, but can't stand standing in lines of bug thrashing people

R

Sean,

There are certain spots that can get busy depending on the direction of the wind. However like all fairly large stillwaters you can easily fish on empty banks if you can chuck 25 yards against a gale.

A fast sinking shooting head can be a boon on there early season. And try to fish with the wind in your face anyway because the water temperature will be influenced by the wind.