Blenheim Palace lake

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have been invited to share a boat in the early season on Blenheim lake if I care to. Now I well know the reputation it once had as an excellent tench fishery but I seem to recollect hearing that it isn't quite the same these days. Has anyone fished it or know of anyone who has had a day on there in the last couple of years?

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Everybody i know has struggled there in the last two seasons, i blanked on the Tench last August, first time ever. I did hear of a reasonable bag of fish which was caught from the old landing stage down towards the shallows.

S

Shrek

I can only remember Wol going there with someone else from the forum and catching more tench that you could shake a very big stick at. Don't know how long ago that was though.

Wayne T

Reaction score
I was at Blenheim 2 summers ago and the fishing was appalling. There were 4 of us in two boats and one tench of around 4lb was caught between us all day which was terrible in comparison to previous visits. There were lots of rumours going around about a film crew dumping batteries or something in the lake and this perhaps affecting the fish. I have no idea whether the rumours were true or not. Stunning venue though and worth the trip just for the scenery!

W

Wolfman Woody

"There were lots of rumours going around about a film crew dumping batteries"

Very rich film crew if they were camera batteries. I doubt it.

S

Stuart Harvey

My advice would be to not bother. Used to go every year but stopped a couple of seasons ago. Fishing got progressively worse.

However you won't find a more peaceful scenic place to sit in a boat for a day.

honslow

Reaction score
I've heard it had taken a turn for the worse. Try Old Bury Hill - they had a big re-stocking this winter which usually stirs up the residents come springtime. Book a punt and head for the 'Jungle'.