Ultrabite in the shops now!

R

Rob Brownfield

I popped into my local shop yesterday to be met by several large boxes of Ultrbite. There were various types, but the one that caught my eyes was for Salmon, Sea-trout and Trout. The shop owner was extremely pleased as he had already gotten through one box and was not on his second!

On this site there was a discussion about its ethics...but..i remembered, its actually illigal to add a substance to a fly to catch migratory game fish! It constitutes using an illegal method to catch a fish and therefore carries a max penaltiy of a ?3000 fine and impoundment of any equipment, including your car! (Scotland, not sure about England and Wales)

What do u guys feel on this issue?

G

Gary Knowles

Rob,

I know trout are pretty stupid when it comes to taking a bait (not a fly) but I can't see how there can be an 'ultimate' salmon bait bearing in mind they don't eat once in freshwater !

D

Dave Johnson

thats a good point Barney, isnt this ultrabite stuff supposed to induce activity based around spawning....? I fso, that could be potentially dangerous to get Salmon 'shafting' each other before they've made their beds.......

G

Gary Knowles

Why not, they've shafted me enough times when I've been chubbing on the upper Severn !

C

Chris Bishop

What about all these concoctions Harris and various other people sell - and what about impregnated lures..?

I reckon the law's an ass on this one. Back in the dim and distant I seem to recally people were banned from using aniseed, which was reputedly an attractant par excellence.

G

Gary Knowles

Chub, I've been wondering for ages - what does LOL actually mean ?

G

Gary Knowles

Sorry I asked..........LOL !

(See I know the computer lingo now!)

D

David Will

I was given a tester bottle to try. It was the Carp one.I have not used it yet and wondered about the origins of this stuff bearing in mind the millions spenyt on it's development. Am i corect in thinking it was funded by MAFF ? if so for what purpose. I can understand trying to get Trout and Salmon to eat more for Farming purposes but what is the thinking behind Pike Roach Bream etc. Are they hoping to sell the stuff to fish farmers abroad or do they hope to offset research costs by flogging it to anglers.Does anyone know ???

M

Martin Wright

Getting back to the question in hand - I really hope this stuff is the overhyped rubbish that comes along in a blaze of publicity every now and then.

However if it does do what the makers claim I think it will do long term damage to our sport. Put simply it has the potential to make fishing too easy=boring=take up golf (which I already do - badly).

If it works, I think many people will use it, possibly myself included because you're not going to use an inferior bait when you're after that big carp/barbel etc - or are you?

AS for sticking it on flies - that's just cheating and in any case just takes away half the fun of flyfishing ie fooling the fish with an artificial for it's own sake.

D

Dave Johnson

Dont know about artificials Martin....I spent ages chucking a dry fly (hopper)at Gailey this summer to no avail...while out on a boat only to see a stupid rainbow come up and snaffle a fag end dropped in by a nearby boat.....matching the hatch my arse!!!!!

I suppose it could have been a nicotine fed fish though......

K

Kevan Farmer

So it was you was it Dave? I've often watched the fly chuckers when I've been fishing the pool opposite to Gailey. Trouble is, that pool is nearly always blanketed in weed now..

Kevan

C

Chris Bishop

Anyway, do these things actually work..?
I've mucked about with all kinds of flavourings and I'm still not convinced they can consistently do anything other than make your kit and the inside of your car smell like a camel's Y-fronts.

M

Martin Wright

You're quite right Dave - Rainbows ars real thickies. I remember a few years ago a mate of mine, Paul, who I used to boat fish with at Draycote kept getting takes on flicked out fag ends.

He tied a 'fag end fly' and did quite well with it I seem to remember.

Probably thought it was a pellet. Personally I would't dream of employing such underhand tactics (not!)

R

Rob Brownfield

Rainbows don't count as a fish...wild brownies on the other hand...now there is a fish!

My mate **** Walker (as he puts it..the original one...not the imposter who caught Clarrisa) ties a fly that consists of a coffee bean glued to a hook, and then varnished. It works well on the rainbows!

The best way to catch rainbows is to stand on the bank, in full view of the fish. They think they are away to get fed pellets and come over to u...bingo!

M

Martin Wright

Rob, tell your mate to stop using a baited hook and instead tie a pellet fly using deer hair trimmed to shape - now thats real fly fishing !!!

D

David Granger

i was taught to fly fish by a chap called Barry Buchnall many years ago (he used to live behind us in bromley kent)
he was famous in the fact that what he wrote in the at and am was completely
different to how he fished in real life .....it was anything goes ,but dont tell there might be heartbroken older anglers
out there.