'How soon before fishing is banned, too?'

davestocker

Reaction score
This was published in the Observer newspaper today. Make of it what you will will. Who could the the 'lobby source' be?

Observer 12.3.06

Pendennis
Oliver Marre
Sunday March 12, 2006
The Observer

How soon before fishing is banned, too?
Last week, Margaret Beckett appeared on radio and made a statement that has, thanks to Jowellgate, gone unreported - until now. To millions of British fishermen and thousands of shooting enthusiasts, however, it comes as the latest signal that the government is far from ready to let their sports continue unchecked.

'Many Labour opinion-formers, particularly those favoured by Gordon Brown, saw foxhunting as the first step. There are ongoing private discussions about how to stop the fishing and shooting,' says a lobby source. 'They're terrified, though, of losing four million fishermen's votes in one fell swoop, so are proceeding with great caution.'

All, it seems, apart from Margaret Beckett, Secretary of State for the Environment, who is directly in charge of countryside (and country sports) policies. When she appeared on the Today programme, she announced, unchecked: 'When we get rid of all the other blood sports, there will still be the House of Commons.'

A Defra spokesman is quick off the mark with damage-limitation. 'It was just a figure of speech,' I am told. 'Fishing is a very popular sport.'

This has done little to allay the fears of those who take it very seriously, such as Jonathan Young, editor of the Field, who counters: 'Whatever the context, for the countryside's top minister to talk about Labour "getting rid of all other blood sports" reveals an attitude that will worry millions.'

Meanwhile, my lobby source adds: 'We fear that Beckett's off-the-cuff remark is a true representation of her government's intent, waiting to manifest itself as policy once Brown takes over from Blair.'

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/7days/story/0,,1729103,00.html

Michael Garner

Reaction score
its quite simple you can,t stop fishing for sport without stopping fishing for food ,nobody wanted to eat foxes,
and if it does happen we could start a new sport called HUNT THE ANTI,S if it,s ok for them to run riot why not us?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Now you know why I keep telling you to make sure that both Labour and the Lib Dems don't get any power at the next election. And when Brown get's in, expect a period of tyranny that will shake the democratic foundations of this nation to the core.

Any angler who votes for these parties is mad!!

One day some years in the future when angling is banned, someone will say: "That silly old fart Ron Clay was right, wasn't he?

W

Wolfman Woody

If Margaret Beckett said 'When we get rid of all the other blood sports, there will still be the House of Commons.'

Why not then get rid of the House of Commons first. Reverse thinking on my part.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

One wonders just how much of our liberty and how many of our rights this government will deny us before "V for Vendetta" becomes a reality. Methinks not the 20 years as the film suggests.
Perhaps I'm being pessimistic but I think the silent majority will soon become a loud and, I'm afraid, a violent majority.

R

It's not much longer to the next general election. Maybe Brown will not get the chance to hold the whip.

I see something totally evil and despicable in Gordon Brown. He is the spawn of the pro-communist lobby that started with that traitorous spy - Harold Wilson. If that swine Brown ever gets into power, God help us all.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It is truly amazing at what goes 'unheard' or 'unseen' whenever there is a more popular story in the news, for example the stupidity mentioned above.

However, I wonder how many people have heard of the Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill?

This wonderous little piece of parliamentary jiggery-pokery will, if passed, simply by-pass Parliament altogether.

From my reading of it, this Bill will provide a mechanism for any previous Act to be amended, altered or changed in any manner, without the responsible minister(s) having to answer to the full Parliament. Also, if passed it will enable the reorganisation, or indeed complete abolishment of any body created by statute and this will include; local authorities, the Courts or even Companies!

Good old Nanny Blair and Co., have said (albeit very quietly, and at a time when the public 'eye' was elsewhere) that; "this Bill will not be used for any "controversial" matters"

Can we have a quick show of FM hands from all those who actually believe that BullSH!T?

Seemingly, Nanny Blair doesn't give a hoot for Parliamentary procedures as he is in too much of a hurry to leave his legacy!

so, when the Nanny State come looking for our fishing - be scared - be very scared!

[rant over]

B

BLAM

No, please. Rant some more. In fact it's not even ranting. I agree totally.

R

What is happening Peter is exactly what happens anywhere in the world when a government has too much power.

Oh shades of the South African National Party during the height of their power in th 70s.

B

Big Swordsy... Satans little helper:O)

That is why if we are to have any more terrorist atrocities I hope they blow up govenment and leave Joe Public alone.

We should have a cull on the politicians and introduce a law that says they can only serve one term. Then they retire from the trough without pension.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Politicians from any party will always jump off the fence to the side where most votes lie.

We've just had a perfect opportunity with the recent petition on this site and at the NEC to demonstrate how much voting power we can muster. But what happened?

We had posters pointing out that the wording of the petition wasn't quite right, or that there were bigger issues to get roused about. Or some other reason not to get stuck in and vote.

I'm not saying that some of the comments were entirely wrong. Just that they ought to have been put to one side just for once.

R

How many votes did we get Graham?

B

Big Swordsy... Satans little helper:O)

Good but not good enough Post it back up top and lets have another crack at it!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Perhaps this might make all those staunch labour supporters on here forget about the miners strike (yawn yawn) and think hard about what they are letting themselves in for when they put a tick alongside their favourite labour candidate at the next election. Yeah! right.

N

NottmDon

Politicians a nest of vipers the lot of em!

I still say I will fish and put forward the reason that I am a Christian and my Holy Book (the Bible) tells me that Jesus chose fishermen as his disciples therefore I am following my religous beliefs by fishing.

Well it works for the Muslims (peace be upon them) ;)

This namby pamby cotton wool state leaves me bemused,what will they ban next "Boxing" they have had enough murmers about that over the years!

R

Don,

I don't like politicians either Don, but we are stuck with them. I vote Tory because they are "least worst" and will overturn the fox hunting ban when they get in. They have made that promise.

Angling will be much safer with the Tories than either of the other two, make no mistake.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"what will they ban next "

Well, take a look at what they recently banned in Oxfordshire in the Family Centre and Sure Start groups . . . . . . . . . Baa Baa Black Sheep has been banned from nurseries and first schools - why?

Well, one of Nanny's best friends, Stuart Chamberlayne who manages all these centres says that "it can be considered as being racist"

Well sunshine, had you taken the trouble to do your due dilligence BEFORE you start banning things, then you might have discovered that Baa Baa Black Sheep was written in 1744 as a political protest regarding the importing of wool!
It never was, nor has it ever been anything to do with Race!

Seemingly Nanny's little helpers are too bloody lazy or too stupid to bother with due dilligence!

[rant over - sorry!]

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
You are having lots of these little rants lately Peter I've noticed, sensible though they are, I think you are suffering from "lack of fishing syndrome". You really must get out more mate its making you irritable, I can tell.

R

It's all that time spent living on coffee fags and doughnuts Graham.

Time he packed it in, retired, ate some healthy food and went fishing.