new 2 barbel

bassboy

Reaction score
hi all

i,m new 2 river fishing but would love 2 catch a barbel
has any1 got any tips 4 me i don,t know much at all about it so anything will help
what is the best time of year 4 it and what r the best river conditions 4 it ?

thanks all

B

BLAM

Somewhat unfortunate timing. The best time of year would certainly not be 2 days before the rivers close for 3 months with half the uk frozen solid.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Dont worry about the conditions ,if your going fishing, your going fishing.You must know the basics 10-12lb line and all that.Look for swims that hold chub and roach,fish near bank swims first, you know the baits,you have probably one of the best rivers in England to practice on.The MIGHTY RIVER WYE,wish i lived round there.Trouble is now,,you have 3 months to wait and think about it. Be nice to have a fish in on there.

ps go on the barbel threads pickup some usefull tips, handling in warmer months is most important. Go get em Bassboy.

bassboy

Reaction score
i fish in simmmonds yacht on the river wye on a day ticket i don,t think that part shuts 4 3 mounths ?

F

Fred Bonney

ALL rivers shut from 14th March 'til 16thJune if your Barbel fishing.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Do us a favour and write English please Bassboy.

R

No mate you have the pronunciation totally wrong.

It's " Sarf Efriken"

B

Bob Watson

woteva, eye 4t eye wus prity nere

I got the "Efriken" bit close though Ron! I'm going from bad accents from films where the actors are probably from Chipping Sodbury or somewhere!

R

"Och man Ek yust comes frim Bloemfontien Hey"

Or a SA traffic cops picks you up for speeding:

"Och man Engels af Ofrekaans Hey -

You were exspeedings the seed limits hey - 80 kay pee aiches in a sixties limits is a werry serrious offence hey - Now Ek is gots to sticks you ups a charge hey!!

bassboy

Reaction score
i didn't know all rivers closed for 3 mounths as i said before i've never done barbel fishing before

what r u on about write in english ron ?

N

NottmDon

Think Ron as an aversion to "text talk" Bassboy,he's pulled me up on my lazy English before(b4) lol.

If I were you I'd read every thread on here under the "Barbel" section and then take a look at the "BFW" site for starters. By the start of the new season you should have got a few ideas of what fishing for boris is all about.
Also,if you know anyone who fishes for barbel then go fishing with them when you have your first session as an experienced 'hand' is allways a good thing to have when trying something new.
Good Luck.

eric walker

Reaction score
bass boy you live in an area which has some of the best barbel fishing around . now dont worry about your english i get more stick than anyone for mine . mine you been the big dyslexis if thats how its spelt you get plenty of it from the snobs who can write well . now if you are not a member of any club that holds a stretch of the wye or severn then get your self into one. there are day tickets on biblins near ross on wye . go down there and talk to a few guys they will put you right . i will be down there in june so if you want some advice i would be able to give you some instruction . cheers eric

N

NottmDon

Dont think we have too many "snobs" on here Eric and I can understand your post with no problems at all. Sounds like 'bassboy' as landed on his feet with your kind offer of instruction as well.

Maybe a post next season telling us how you both got on?