British Pike Squad

J

jon helyer

They won't be fishing near Bridgwater in 2007, because a member of the public saw some of them weighing jacks by the gills and sacking pike up for ages, so the club that controls the waters isn't going to allow them on!

F

Frothey

why would a "member of the public" complain about someone sacking a fish for ages? or weighing them by the gills (most of the public seem to think we do that anyway!)

J

jon helyer

This guy was obviously a bit more 'clued up', maybe he was an angler himself.....

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Jon, maybe he was the Bridgewater club secretary!

We all know how the club feel about pike!

If there aint no pike anglers on the water, then the dead fish in the bushes won't get reported?

Is Pete back on-line yet?

Mike Skipper 2

Reaction score
Thanks to Jon for pointing this incident out. I've posted Jon back and had a reply from him, but there is still some confusion over this incident and I believe that it has nothing to do with us at all. I can assure you that if it can be proven that any competitor from our final weighed a pike by the jaw then they will be banned from all future BPS competitions for LIFE.
The vast majority of the BPS members are also members of the PAC and we really do care for pike and are ultra careful on handling of pike - hence a comprehensive list of rules for all competitors. Unlike most pike matches we do not sack up fish as every competitor is an active steward as well and weigh in every competitors fish and return them immediately. That is just one of the factors that made me positive that this incident has nothing to do with us there are many other pointers too that make me more and more positive that someone else is to blame.
I'd like to find the person(s) responsible myself and string them up by the jaw too!