perfection

T

Tony Rocca

Yes Matt its to much like hard work.

5% of the equation, I prefer the other 95%.

Tree climbing is good fun though.

:eek:)

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

There are times when anything that you do will work for certain species.
But for the best results I am sure Matt is right.
Some years ago I followed a shotting pattern by Mark Bird in IYCF for catching roach. This was on quite a hard water, but my catch rate was really good. In the article, Mark had described how the float should be acting, and I got it down to a T.
I tried other rigs, nothing special just my usual thing and the catch rate dropped.
Time spent to detail on your rigs is well worth it.

I did notice though, that after a month or two after carp or chub I began to lose the finer deatail of roach fishing and it always took me a while to get it back. If those finer details work for roach which they do, then I am sure they must work for the likes of carp and chub, but how many of us bother?

honslow

Reaction score
Tweaking your rigs will always improve your catches on pressured venues if you end up doing things no-one else tries.
The chuck and chance it approach of most anglers (myself included much of the time) catches you less fish.
Having fished with Matt you can see that he is never at rest, he's always trying new things or swapping species in order to make the best of a session. He recently upped his pike pb whilst roach fishing (admittedly most of the tackle he used was blagged off a fellow angler, but he went home with a pb while the rest of us struggled).

B

Big Swordsy... Satans little helper:O)

Top read Matt

and so true

( mental note to myself...spend more on hooks)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Matt has virtually the same attitude to angling that I did when I was his age and I see nothing wrong with that.

As you get older however you do tend to slow down a bit. What I loath these days is travelling and humping gear!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Tony, I wouldn't say I was robotic (although I do listen to Kraftwerk a lot). You know I love my fishing.

I think if we learn as much detail as possible, much of it will become second nature and that means we can concentrate on catching fish and/or enjoy just being out there.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Another thing you learn as you get older is to avoid those days when it's pretty certain that you are going to blank. I watch the weather forecasts these days and if the weather looks right I will take a few days off work and get out there.

In fact if the weather had been mild I would have been down the Trent right now.

But to spend a night in the sleet and snow at my age, you must be blinkin joking.

Angling is done for pleasure.

Beecy

Reaction score
Without doubt, following Matt's advise will get you more fish.

The thing is, it comes down to how badly you actually want to improve your results as to whether you follow this or any other advise for that matter.

It always amazes me when I see people making simple mistakes such as not plumbing up properly, mixing groundbait like lumpy porridge or shotting floats incorrectly.

With all the info available today there is no excuse?, except maybe, that these people are quite happy with the way they do things and do not feel the need to seek advise in order to improve.

As for myself, well, the attention I pay to detail can often depend on the mood I am in, some days I will re-tie knots that are not perfect, and I will spend time getting my groundbait perfect?. Other days I will adopt the ?sod it, It?ll do? approach. Im sure we all do this, we know that something is not quite right, maybe hook length kinked or hook slightly blunt, or we need a slightly bigger float when the wind gets up, but we just can?t be arsed to change it and carry on and hope for the best !

Keith Robinson 2

Reaction score
I think they call it dedication, just the same as athletes with there training to achieve the best results, the best anglers are in the same mold, leaving no stone unturned to achieve what they want to get out of the sport.
I was fortunate to fish against the all powerful Barnsley Blacks in the early 60's on the R, Bann in the old Captain Morgan Cup, which included the great Scotty, and, at the DO in the evening **** Clegg made a brave statement that the teenager in question would one day win a world championship, how right he was, his attention to detail has made him along with Mr Nudd the two best match anglers in the world over the last decadeor so, I wish I had paid more attention to detail when I had the time to do it.
All you young lads out there should copy Matts article and read it over when you have a lean time, as we all do through our angling life, good piece Matt, a few more like that one please.

T

Tony Rocca

You got home quick Matt.

Still too much like hard work, must be why Im rubbish.

Just trying to say that some things are far more important in dictating whether you catch or not.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
You're right that locating the fish and being there during the feeding spells are paramount, but that goes without saying.

All things being equal, putting in that extra effort will land you more fish and on really hard days will often mean the difference between blanking and catching something.

Wayne Jones 2

Reaction score
i think when you have got your tackle well balanced and the right rigs for the right venue.It is all about knowing how much loose feed to put in and preperation on the hook for the time of year you are going to fish.

T

Tony Rocca

Matt,
If you read Lee Fletches latest posts on the BS "end of season" thread you may see what I try to say, but he does it better.

I think many of you are so wrong, wouldnt fall out about it though :eek:) Everyone to his own.

B

Big Swordsy... Satans little helper:O)

I think the main point to fishing is that we enjoy it on whatever level we decide to take it to.

T

Tony Rocca

Matt, That will be because there isnt one, doh! Wrong title, off to whip myself.

Try 2005/2006 season thread instead, bet you have read it already though.

Lee, Very true.

T

Tony Rocca

Matt,
I am not trying to say your article is wrong, for its not, its sound advice.
I just think that folks could do far better if they spent as much time and effort getting the basics right and understanding the fish, of whatever species, better in the first place.

Doing so will increase ones catch rate a great deal more than a neat knot.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I've just read through Lee's post (I'm sorry that non BS members don't have a clue what Tony and I are on about!).

Location, feeding and being there at the right time are absolutely necessary. I was assuming that most anglers already knew that.

Checking your hook is sharp, making sure a knot is neat, retying your rig if the line appears damaged, making sure everything you do is to the best of your ability will land more fish through the course of a season regardless of the venue or the type of fishing.

On a commercial it might mean a couple more toy Carp. On a river it might mean a pound or two extra of Dace. On a hard big Carp water it might mean the difference between landing a 30 and not.

I'm not claiming this is the be all and end all but it's certainly part of the jigsaw. It is a big jigsaw though!