Polarised Sunglasses

U

unknownforce

Do these really make a difference?

I have never owned a pair and have always made do with whatver sunglasses i have to hand. is it worth spending on a pair of these?

the reason i ask is that i went out today to a local lake that i recently discovered, just to have a reckie. its a beautiful place, about 3 acres, on the edge of a council estate, hidden by blocks of flats and a small wood. There is a bit of rubbish laying around, which isnt great, but i climed a tree and had a couple of smokes and saw six or seven double figured fish in the margins. However, I was wondering if my view of them would be even clearer with polarised glasses and whether it would save me from climbing up next time (as i fell out today and seriously hurt my ankle - d'oh)

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
They really do!

They reduce light reflected from any surface including water, glass, etc...

They allow the light passing through the water but block the reflected light.

Try them you'll see the difference.

I wear them for driving too, they increase the visibility through your windscreen, especially in bright conditions.

THE POACHER

Reaction score
hope you didnt land on any of the fish
now that would have been serious
yes polaried sunglasses work for defo they will increase your veiwing no end

B

Big Rik

and they don't need to be expensive.

Shakespeare, John Wilson etc etc do them for about ?10 a pair.

Disco stu

Reaction score
Cheers Poacher, I have just bought them.I bought the brown pair, not the grey.
What is the difference between cat 2 and cat 3 though? Is one darker?

G

Ged

I have a pair of poloraised prescription sunglasses. Got from Specsavers when they had a promotion on. By one gat a second pair free, only had to pay for the polorising which was a couple of quid.
You'll find the different lens shading are for different light situations. The darker the lens are used in high sunlight, ie midday. The yellow lenses are moor for improving the light on darker evenings as the light dims.

W

Wolfman Woody

I have always liked the brown lenses, they seem to pick up fluorscent colours better, like marker floats. They also make a dull day look much nicer.

Sometimes Boots do a BOGOF offer so for thirty quid or so you get two stylish pairs.

Interestingly - I bought Improve Your Coarse Fishing recently for reading on a flight and in it there was a letter from an angler who was suffering from some problem with his eyes. He had yellow blotches on the surface of the eyeball, but not seriously for him as things go.

Doctors told him that it was caused by excess sunlight and advised him to wear sunglasses (polarised or otherwise) when near the water. Lot of reflected light around water and this will have caused it.

SO, PUT YOUR SPECS ON!

W

Wolfman Woody

In fact, if anyone still has that copy of IYCF could they look up the letter and post what the complaint is called?

I think a friend of mine suffers from it. He also suffers occasionally from herpes also and has to have time off work and take medication.

I'm sure it's all connected with the fact that he never wears any eye protection.

K

keith buckley

I use a pair of clip ons I bought off ebay for about a fiver and have found them to be good.

just so I know what was unknownforce smoking that made him fall out of the tree, it could be a warning to all of us.

Milo

Reaction score
I've got a couple of pairs of the darker Fox ones (I had a pair, and my ex, hence the two pairs), and whilst they're brilliant for bright conditions, an amber pair would be better in lower light levels.