Cuckoo, first signs

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Just heard my first Cuckoo of the year, sure sign the warmer weather is on the way.

Anyone heard any anywhere else ???

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
I usually hear my first when fly fishing at Elinor, but cuckoos are becoming quite rare these days. When I was a child, they were everywhere.

The last survey revealed that cuckoos have declined 60% since 1980 - absolutely catastrophic. They have problems here and in their wintering grounds in sub-Saharan Africa. The main problem is the eternal one - too many humans taking over too much land.

Article HERE and read the book, Say Goodbye to the Cuckoo - a brilliant if rather saddening read about the decline of most migratory species of birds.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Peter a traditionalist like you should apprechiate the effort I go too each year to keep this old custom going
Take no notice of him m'Lud! He's just a misery who's trying a new tactic of ridicule, but we're the ones enjoying our stillwater fishing! ;)

Not heard a cuckoo as yet, plenty of woodpeckers around and yesterday there must have been thirty or more kites flying around in circles above our street. I tried to photograph them, but so many the camera lens was wide open and then they look like dots; you really had to see them. First thoughts are they were trying to pick their mates for breeding, any of you got thoughts?

Last edited:

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I think you got your quotes mixed up a bit Jeff.
Also, is M'Lud's dyslexia catching you up or have you just got fat fingers like me (have to read through to see if it looks ok before pressing submit).:D

Reaction score
Frozen wastes in't grim North haven't t'heard cuckoo since last I lived in sainted Shropshire.

Heard my first chiff chaff of the year...and the buzzards and woodpeckers were giving it some today.

Must start my Mersey walks again to see if, and when, the sand martins and the blackcaps arrive.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score