Crap Service

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Yesterday I visited a local tackle store. I can't call it a shop because it's huge and more like a supermarket.

What happened was that I went there to have a look at some new butt indicators I was interested in, and they were the only shop within 20 miles of my home that had them in stock. At 25 quid each I wanted to handle them rather than take a chance with mail order.

My pal had seen them in the store last week, which is how I knew they had them. So I looked round all the obvious shelves where all the indicator-type stuff was kept and couldn't find them.

Not really surprising because this store keeps most of its stock spread around the floor. They mainly have kids serving, who know little or nothing about fishing, and get paid peanuts (and you know what they say about paying peanuts.....).

I looked round some more and still couldn't find them, so I went to one of the lads who was serving and asked for them. "They're behind the counter somewhere, I saw them yesterday and I know we haven't sold any," he said, "hang on, I'll have a look."

Pretty good so far, the usual response is a blank stare and a look that says, "don't bother me, what do you think I am, a servant?"

He rummaged around for five minutes and couldn't find them, so I said I'd have a look round and come back. Ten minutes later I'm back and he's sat having a chat with his mate. "can't find them," he says, "so I'm going to assume we haven't got any."

"But you already told me you saw them yesterday, and that you haven't sold any." I said.

"Yeah, that's right, but I have to assume we haven't got any now because I can't find them."

Now, my first inclination was to give him a few choice words and walk away. But instead, I said, "either find them or I go and ask the manager to have a look."

Two minutes later he found them.

This isn't the first time this has happened to customers of this particular store. They don't put anything away properly and then they can't be bothered to find the stuff if it doesn't come immediately to hand.

But I aim to do something about it now. If these big outfits are going to take business off smaller tackle dealers then they should provide at least a basic good service to go with it. First of all I'll complain to the manager and then I'll take my business elsewhere.

This is what happens when a big company that made its name with a different product gets into fishing tackle with only profit in mind. Customer service has got to come into the equation somewhere, no matter how cheap their prices are and how big a stock they hold.

If we complain and then walk we could change things.

C

Chris Bishop

How about a fishingMAGIC good service award - needn't be anything much but it a framed certificate to hang on the wall would be a kind of stamp of approval from fM members.

All the rest of the angling media do Tackle Giant of the Year and Big Mail Order Discount Dealer of the Decade type awards.

G

Gary Knowles

Trafford Angling Centre get my nomination. The guys in there generally can't do enough for you.

They have even ordered me free small bits and pieces direct from the manufacturers when items of mine have broke to save me buying new.

anything I've asked for that they don't have in they have ordered for me - however small the item.

They also have no problem with ripping items out of their packaging to give you a propoer look at what your thinking of buying.

mind you I do spend a few quid in there !

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Good idea Chris, hold the messages while I get some copy on line and start a new thread. Gary, copy yours across when the new thread starts, probably later today or in the morning.

S

Stuart Johnson

I think I know which store you are talking about Graham and I totally agree with your comments. Over the past few years I have spent a good few quid with them. But about 4 months ago I went in looking for a particular item(a rod actually) could not find it so I asked the manager(the guy on the carp section). He was the one that looked blank and muttered a few unwise words. So I just walked out left my basket (full of bits that you tend to buy when you mooch about a tackle shop)on the floor with the rest of the rubbish and have not been bacj since. I have started to use a new shop which is quite local and they are more than helpfull. They have taken the stance good service equals repeat service.

R

Rob Brownfield

Graham...why but butt indicators???...Have a look over your shoulder and down a bit...thats your Butt..no need for fancy devises to tell u where it is!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'm fishing with Gary Knowles and the Gay Emblem the week after next. The indicators are for warning me when they're anywhere near.

G

Gary Knowles

The loudest Butt indicators I've ever heard are big Rik's..........the ghetto blasters have nothing on badger arse ! !

C

Carp Angler

I just put in some fresh batteries in readiness for next week.

I wonder if I could wake you up in your cabin?

J

John Tait

"This is what happens when a big company that made its name with a different product gets into fishing tackle with only profit in mind"

Graham, until I just saw Dave's mail, I was going to ask if the store you went to was quite close to Nantwich - or is that question `pushing it` a little ??

I went there 3 weeks ago this coming Sunday, looking for a new barbel rod - had the Fox range in mind. I spent quite some time there, looking at what was on offer, and did quite like the look of the Fox 1.5 - the only problem was that I could not find the quiver-tip top, so went to ask - at the `carp counter` - mistake !!

I stood waiting for the guy behind the counter to at least acknowledge my prescence for a good 5 minutes - no response at all. Went back to the rod-racks for another search, and in the menatime my dear wife managed to find an `assistant` (??), who then stated that the quiver top for that rod had had to be used to replace one which he (the assistant) had himself broken the previous day.

He stated that a delivery from Fox was due on the following day, which would include more of these rods, and requested my 'phone number so that he could call me when they arrived - as the call has not yet arrived, I can only presume that the rods have not either !!

It is of no consequence now anyway, as I rang my local `corner-shop` (Pickerings of Burslem) and asked if they carried the rod. `Yes` was the reply, and Dave also offered a 10% discount on the spot. Needless to say, I picked the rod up on the following Friday, after work. And also put it to good use !!

The superstores' loss was Pickerings gain.

Jonty

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I also use Pickerings most of the time and they're different again, always willing to help and will always consider a discount. In fact, the only time I don't use them is when they don't have what I want in stock and I want it fast, as was the case with the butt indicators that started this thread.

Daves of Middlewich, another of my local tackles shops, are also very helpful.

Michael Parker

Reaction score
I am one off those funny people who take my holidays in this country. I do not have any other hobbies to spend my money on so I spend it on fishing, travel to fishing, fishing and fishing. I have yet to find a tackle shop that to find a shop that gives service and information to the extent of me wanting to nominate one, for services to the general public! I find that you have to be in the gang to get information and service. My general line of attack is to ask a question on where to fish, tactics etc. If I get decent information I will start to buy. Needless to say that I dont end up spending much on many of my trips.
Why should I feel guilty about using the big discounted supermarkets? I find that in general the smaller local tackle shops do not offer much more than higher prices. Perhaps my expectations of service are too high? I am prepared to pay for service but in my experience the difference does not make financial sense.

G

Gary Knowles

Rik,

Come on over to my cabin anytime - there will be a cool beer waiting.

What batteries did you put in - a car one !

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Rik, for god's sake don't go over to his cabin, especially towards the end of the week.......

G

Gary Knowles

Ignore him Rik - come on over. We can have badger scaring competitions.........

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You haven't got a prayer Barney. Mind you, there are loads of hedgehogs to practise on.

D

Dave Johnson

problem with practicing on hedghogs is that you cant wrap sellotape around them to stop em splitting......

S

Stuart Bullard

Bugger me Graham, I cant believe you were actually prepared to pay for something. I thought you normally go them as freebies....