season ended (whos gutted)

tomo

Reaction score
Its 14 th and its all over.
Biggest for me is 15.9.
Roll on june.

J

jon helyer

My biggest was 16.2, so I haven't done much better, worse season ever! Only had 23 pike in total....

D

David Marrs

Not had many Pike this year at all unfortunately. Not had too many trips either, even more unfortunately! Still, the first predator of the year was an 11lb Zed so I have to say, I'm not too very gutted!

Roll on 0001hrs, 16th Jun.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I'm not gutted its over either. I had good plans for the back end of the season but everything went pear shaped on me.
I am more looking to a fresh start this next season.

glider

Reaction score
Only returned to fishing in december after a few years break fished 7 sessions two blanks and pushed my pb to 16lb and a total of 6 pike and 1 chub and considering how hard you guy`s say it`s been this year i`m fairly happy

D

David Marrs

Good effort Glider mate! Ultimately mate, you sound happy with things and that can only be good for you and fishing.

Chris Elwis999

Reaction score
I'm reasonably happy only managed 10 piking trips biggest pike being 20lb 4oz the going was fairly hard managed two blanks in those ten trips. The zander fishing was a hard going as well managed to catch them to 9lb 14 oz but no matter how hard I try I still can't get one of those elusive doubles from the Great Ouse. Ah well roll on June when I can start again. Hopefully I will be able to get a few more trips in next season.

Reaction score
unfortunately I missed fishing the last weekend, too much on...first time in years.

Despite the freezing cold and lack of rain , I think I would count this as my best pike season yet. I managed a healthy head of low doubles, topped by two river pbs with my first Severn 20 and a 15 from the dimiuitive Leam.

Zander-wise, it's been quieter but I have caught steadily and even managed a run (albeit dropped!) on a one-off day session at Coombe.

Ambition for next season, to have at least as much fun as I had this season. No targets, just fun.

tomo

Reaction score
Never had a zander yet.
gonna try and target em' next season.
wouldnt say no to some tips on zeds chris....

D

David Marrs

That Zed stuff you wrote for the 'Snapper' was excellent ****y, are they in the Leam mate? Incidentally, I'll shortly be putting the mag together, sadly its not been a time of massive contribution for the mag but hey ho, I'll get there mate.

D

David Marrs

"The zander fishing was a hard going as well managed to catch them to 9lb 14 oz but no matter how hard I try I still can't get one of those elusive doubles from the Great Ouse"

Chris, they aren't as common as the papers would have us believe matey! It took me a whole lot of fish and about 4 1/2years before I managed my first double from the Ouse. I've found it a good water for 9lb+ fish over the years but as with most waters, doubles seem in very short supply. I hope when you do get one mate, it is the watershed and opens the gates for a whole load more mate.

Anyways, check out this link, jammy git me lol,
Kind regards,
Dave

http://www.averagezedheaven.com/images/11lbZed.jpg

Chris Elwis999

Reaction score
Tell me about it Dave I,ve fished their on and off since 1994, the good thing is that I have seen the average size of Zander rise, after checking my logs, back then the average size of zander I was catching was in the three to four pound bracket with the occassional six the biggest I caught that season off the Ouse was 8lb 4oz. This season the average size of zander were in the 6 to 8 pound bracket with quite a few over the nine pound mark. Checked out your website very informative I agree with what you say about the sixteen foot it is worth giving a go I have had some good results from there.
Tomo if you fancy a zander session sometime, give us a shout and we can meet up somewhere.

tomo

Reaction score
ok mate thanks ,i will deffo take you up on it.

Reaction score
Hi David,

Looking forward to Snapper!

There are certainly a few zander in the Leam although the Avon is a much more viable prospect.

There were massive floods in Leamington in 2000 (i think) and that certainly helped their distribution. I've caught mini-Z to 2-2.5lb above the highest weir on the Leam at Jephson Gardens but they aren't really worth targetting specifically that far up river...yet!

I'm planning an article on Z's in the Severn for next season and maybe one on Coombe, I'll let you know as and when...

C

Chris Bishop

Sure I did a story on a pub landlord up there who caught a great big salmon in a car park when it flooded.

A

Andy Doughty

Glad of a rest for a while. Need to get some new reels after the last trip out!!!

I think they have just worn out. The braid probably doesnt help. I'll be looking for some of those Big-Pit things. I like the look of the Daiwa Emcast ones.

L

levelspiker

i never start my dead\livebait fishing for pike until mid september,when the air temperature and breezy weather cools the water down.
i do a bit of lure fishing until late june ,or before if the weather gets hot.i believe that the pike will stay in better condition if they are left in peace during the hot months.