Quick Question

Wayne T

Reaction score
Is there any need to use more than 10lb b/s mainline(mono) to target 20/25lb carp in a not particularily snaggy venue ?

njb51

Reaction score
wouldnt have thought so, as long as the rest of the tackle is up to it, and the line is good quality.

Wayne T

Reaction score
Thanks Jonny, you just sorted out an argument that I have been having with a mate!! I think he's been going out severely overgunned with 15lb mainline!

njb51

Reaction score
I reckon, (although i havent tested this theory) that can catch up to three times (maybe even more) the weight of your lines breaking strain, mainly in the higher breaking strains - say 8lb up.

So for example, 10lb line - you could land up to 30lb maybe more quite comfortably. For regular coarse fish, not predators.

Don't quote me on that though.

B

Barry Edney

'The fight would be longer'

Thats a good point Paul. Maybe better to err on the heavy side and get hard fighting fish in and released quickly. Rather than playing a fish for 15mins + and have a fish with no energy to swim off when released.

I'd imagine this is more relevent with rivers rather than lakes though.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Wayne, I would only use 15lb in extreme situations in this country, or for Pike.

Each to their own and all that but to me your mates going overgunned.

I use 12lb maximum for Carp, Barbel etc... and thats if i'm fishing a snaggy swim or a big river.

njb51

Reaction score
Unless he has crappy line and it actually breaks at around 12lb, instead of 15.

Paul H

Reaction score
Barry, I don't think in a clear swim on 10lb the fight would be dangerous to the fish, the balanced tackle is the important part, too stiff a rod for the line and you can't absorb any lunges without breaking off, too strong line for the rod and you could damage the rod or the fish.

It's a case of getting the fish in quickly as possible without causing harm, all part of the skill of fishing!

:eek:)

Paul H

Reaction score
By the way setting the clutch appropriatly for the breaking strain of your line (or hooklink) is also essential to avoid being broken off.

I always test the breaking strain of my line and hooklength line when I buy a new spool to see what the actual limit is.

L

little Stu!

Clutch or baitrunner, yes Pikey Paul, a sensible comment to the question.

F

Frothey

so whats the disadvantage to using heavier b/s lines (apart from casting distance)? why use lighter line if its for no benefit?

and whats the difference with pike?

Paul H

Reaction score
Apart from casting distance...

If the line is too heavy for the rod then it could, in theory, damage the rod or the fish when pressure is exerted.

It is more visible in the water being (generally) thicker.

I use 15lb for pike, or rather I used to until I got braid, as it was more abrasion resistant if they got their teeth around it plus you're more likely to get your trace or lure back when they get snagged up. (I switched to braid for increased breaking strain versus diameter plus better bite indication for my piking).

I don't however profess to be a seasoned carp angler so I'm sure there will be a good reason for 15lb line now. :eek:)

I personally don't use and wouldn't feel the need to use that for targeting 20lb average fish based on my angling experiences and the type of fishing I do.

F

Frothey

nothing to do with being a carper.....

If the line is too heavy for the rod then it could, in theory, damage the rod or the fish when pressure is exerted.

its the rod that governs how much pressure you put on the fish - unless you point the rod straight at them! tie a set of scales to the line and pull the rod to its test curve....suprised if you could break 6lb line like that. maybe with a thru action soft rod, but who uses them these days?

It is more visible in the water being (generally) thicker

fair comment if you are floater/float fishing (whether it spooks the fish is a whole different question), but when ledgering on the bottom the line would be on the bottom anyway - especially with slack lines.

as it was more abrasion resistant if they got their teeth around it

dont forget weed/gravel can be abrasive too...

you're more likely to get your trace or lure back when they get snagged up

exactly right....the best way of not tethering a fish is to not lose it in the first place....hence i cant see the point in using a light line unless you really have to!

incidently if you are using braid, most are less abrasive resistant than mono.....especially if you are using low diameter stuff.

Paul H

Reaction score
I did know about braid being less resistant to abrasion but sacrificed that for the bite indication and strength.

Most of my fishing is done on rivers or float fishing for Tench so the line diameter is important to me as I cannot have the line slack when legering or else I'm float fishing.

As I said 'I personally don't use and wouldn't feel the need to use that for targeting 20lb average fish based on my angling experiences and the type of fishing I do'.

If I was targeting bigger fish then I would use stronger line but I still wouldn't for the circumstances described above.

Anyhow I didn't set my stall out for an argument here!

L

little Stu!

So heres an interesting point; you won't find a carper floater fishing with 15lb line but he will on the bottom!

argh.....you can't help but love how stupid we all are though can you?

C

christian tyroll

although i dont do that much carping, being honest i use the same line for all my carp fishing. i dont know if this is right or worong but i dont do to badly.
when ledgering i use 15lb line and when floater fishing! it hasnt seemed to stop me catching and i wont change unless it does!