Thinking outside the box

njb51

Reaction score
I intend to do the same things as you this year Mark, only focussing on a few venues and getting to know only them.

I hope to be fishing a few gravel pits near me in the search of tench and bream. By only concentrating on these two species, I also hope to understand them more, and be able to adapt my fishing to suit.

K

Kevin Perkins 3

Mark
Good article, as always, and perhaps a timely reminder to us all. Anglers probably suffer most from the 'grass is greener' syndrome. If we think back to our early days, our range of venues was limited to pedal bike range, and our tackle choice was restricted to pocket money/Saturday job expenditure constraints.

Given that, you had to make the most of what you had, particularly with regard to skill and knowledge, and it was a larning curve. But now you find time constraints, coupled to deeper pockets, urge you to buy your way to success through improved tackle and better stocked venues.

We would perhaps all benefit from a concerted effort on a local water, with a miniamalist approach to baits and tackle. Get to know the water, the fish, and if you blank a few times, try to find out why for yourself, don't change baits six times in one session (guilty!) - try six sessions with one bait.

If things don't work after a fair trial, then methodically move on to the next step, you may be surprised as to how much you still have to learn, unless you are the type that wants the 'Instant Fish - Just add Water' in which case start collecting memberships now!

S

steadyeddie

looking back over the years,your right pick 2,3waters stick at them, go back to the begining opens your eyes got me thinking cheers,

Beecy

Reaction score
Starting afresh, back to basics ?

I think i'll have some of that Mark.

As kevin says, it all started with the one rod and bankstick tied to the crossbar as a kid, and when you think back these were the most enjoyable times.

So I'm going to join you this season. I'm going to do it slightly different though, rather than narrow the venues down I shall do it by method.

I will mothball the pole and feeder rods and fish waggler/stick only.

After all, I spent the first 15 years of my fishing life mastering the waggler and have then spent the last 15 years forgetting it all !

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
Similar idea here.....a fresh start with a whole new outlook, i've even changed tackle to suit! For this coming year i have attained membership of a VERY large gravel pit. Not too many Carpy things, but lots of BIG bream, Tench, HUGE roach, Rudd, and most of the other common varieties of fish. Gone is the pole! I've upgraded the waggler rod for fishing the slider...it's deep! Stepped up the feeder rod, line, ect. (I still wont use an optonic) Changed my thinking on baits, i'll continue to use use hemp, caster, and maggot...but much more corn, and particle mix....and give new flavourings and additives more consideration. The pit tends to be clear, so i dont expect fish to be queuing up to get on the hook like in my former match puddles. I KNOW,i will have have bad days when i 'm disappopinted, lots of them, but that wont deter me....I KNOW i will get sooo much satisfaction from getting a few fish having worked hard and really researched the water. Yep, i really think this will be a positive change........isnt thinking good!

colsmiff

Reaction score
I stayed away from the water during the last close season, since our club closes all but one water forthe three months. However this year I will definitely be doing some spring fishing on it. I had some cracking sessions on there last June, so I too will be approaching it with open eyes and a spring in my step.
I have almost exclusively been fishing the waggler since late summer, so it'll be a good time to practice/refine my tip rod technique.

Beecy

Reaction score
The slider !

now your talking Tom !

I used to fish it a lot at Worsborough but the pole made it redundant, I'll definately give that a go again.

L

little Stu!

excellent thinking article - well done - certainly tempting! need to put some thought into this a little more - thanks

Beecy

Reaction score
Made a start today.

Left my pole in the shed and paid a visit to one of the local dams where I used to go as a kid, only this time it was in the car not on my bike!

fished the waggler, amazing how rusty I was at first, took at least half an hour before I got me casting and cattying eye back in.

realy enjoyed myself, until it started snowing that is.