Loops - Is it Knots or Swivels

porlbonut

Reaction score
As most pre tied hook links come complete with a pre tied loop for attaching them to your main line, as do leadcore leaders etc what is the best way to attach them to the mainline. I have heard pro arguments for both knots and swivels. What's best, and the best method of doing it?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Can't work your name out mate, but I go loop to loop, knot to swivel.
The loop to swivel seems to stress the line and cause tangles, I always use a grinner knot on swivels, never let me down yet.

njb51

Reaction score
Thats interesting Steve - I've tried loop to loop and found that I was more often than not - getting tangles. So i attached a swivel between both loops; I haven't had another tangle since.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I always make my own hook links and attach then to the main line with a "super albright". A bit fiddly I know but a good strong knot if the link line is wound around the mainline and not vice versa especially if connecting monofil to braid.

porlbonut

Reaction score
Thanks all, for the replies. It would appear it's still down to personal preference.
Jonny do you use a reef type knot when attaching swivels to loops, and does it work OK mono to braid?
Frank, will have to look up the "super albright".

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Some call it just an "Allbright" whilst others call it a "Super Allbright".
It's almost a knotless knot and not difficult to tie but with fine lines it can be a bit fiddly until you get the hang of it.
1. Turn back the tag end of the mainline about 6" to form a loop.
2. Pass the tag end of the hook-length through the loop and do 4 or 5 turns in a spiral with it to secure the main-line loop.
3. Now wind the hook-length tag end 6 to 8 times back down towards the loop and then pass it back out through the loop the same way as it came in.
4. Wet thoroughly with saliva and making sure that the tag-ends of both lines are securely held against their respective main lengths pull gently together until tight and trim tag-ends.
Its a neat and safe knot that I've used for about 12 years, especially for joining mono to braid, and never had it fail.
One word of advice though. Always bind the weaker line around the stronger.