R

Richard[reformed fly angler]Huggett

Anybody recently fished either:

[a] Chalk Springs
Avington
[c] Boringwheel
[d] Brick Farm
[e] Arlington Reservoir

Interested in some up to date information if possible...?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

All those waters are too far south for me Richard. If you can afford it, have a go at Avington - ?60 for 4 fish, no catch and release.

Personally, fly fishing doesn't begin seriously for me until the daffies are in bloom, the buds are in the trees, the buzzers are hatching and the rivers and ressies are open.

I had a few casts in a couple of commercial fisheries in my area on odd mild days this winter (there haven't been many of those) and caught a few to eat.

R

I like Avington, Ron, it's a nice place to go..I keep expecting the ghost of Walker, Housby or the like to appear round a tree.

My personal favourite has to be Boringwheel though....it is so peaceful and quiet there.

C

christian tyroll

Richard its not far from me and me and my dad were thinking of going for the day at some point (ive never fly fished before)! whats it like up there and would a first timer like me have a chance of catching?

R

Boringwheel...absolutely beautiful place to fish. The fish make you work for them, it's not easy fishing, but if I can fish there, any one can!!
Try a small leaded bug fished close around the liy beds off the centre point...failing that, try a small grey/green/brown nymph....retrieve slow and steady, and hang on, 'cos when those rainbows hit they hit. Hard!!
Good luck...let me know how you get on?

R

Just had a look at the Boringwheel website. Yes it does look a nice place although the water is quite coloured.

And it sports south of England day ticket prices too.

Do you get to fish with the blonde featured in the recent Trout Fisherman article Richard?

J

john conway

I?ve just joined RADAC (Ribchester & District Angling Association) this year for the barbel & chub fishing on the Ribble but this also gives me 6 miles of salmon, sea trout & brownie water on the Ribble plus a few miles on the Hodder and Calder. Prince Albert also have several miles of game fishing on the Ribble, Hodder and Calder and Warrington some on the Ribble and Calder and all this for less than ?190 p.a.
Basically all my coarse close season will be reconnoitring these beautiful rivers with my fly rod. I?ve even talked our lass into buying me a new fly rod for my birthday, but I?m afraid Ron, ?50 to ?60 is as much as I?m willing to spend.
It?s still a bit early up here for the brownies, like Ron said a good indicator are the daffs blooming. We still have some snow on the hills to clear but a trip out this weekend is on the cards, if it?s only for the fresh air and escaping from household chores.

R

Ron...this is one of the downsides of living in the South, mate. Boringwheel is actually fairly reasonable price- wise...Avington @ ?60 a day, Sutton Springs @ ?110 a day, even Chalk Springs is now ?35 a day minimum. That's the price we pay for being able to see the fish in the water...Brick Farm, literally just up the road from me has water the colour of a commercial carp lake, the ticket office had seen better days fifty years ago, but the water holds trout to well over 20lbs and anglers rarely, if ever blank there...and all for ?20 a day. But that raises another problem...at those prices you are shoulder to shoulder 24/7, slightest puff of wind and forty leaders are snarled up.
I tend to use Brick Farm as a 'quick fix' water...when I needs a quickie or when the bank account is waiting for it's monthly cash injection. But if things have been good on the 'fiddle' side of things and I've a few bob in the old sky rocket, then I'll gladly pay fifty or sixty quid for a day's trout fishing on a beautiful trout lake...as someone once said, it's not the catching that makes your day, it's just the being there.

Mind you, after shelling out ?110 for a day ticket, it is nice to catch something.....

R

And in Rotherham I shell out ?142 for a 50 visit ticket allowing me to take two fish per day plus C&R.

And the fishing is truly brilliant, but not easy.

Guess which I would prefer?

J

john conway

Richard, you're winding us up about these prices aren't you?

R

err...no John, that's gospel mate. That's why it's called the affluent South...and that's why I'm just a poor old sweeper driver!

R

He's certainly not kidding John.

Look up some of these fisheries on Google and see for yourself.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
These prices are right, but don't let this put you off fishing down south. I'm a northerner whos been down here for 6 years. I agree with Richard that decent clear water fishing is worth paying for. I've also found out though about the masses of reasonably priced superb water down here. Check out the waters of Salisbury and district Angling club. Access to numerous prime beats of the following:

Avon, Wylye, Bourne, Nadder
All with wild and stocked browns, and masses of wild grayling.

138 a year.

There are also numerous free stretches of the Itchen if you know where to look. Half the fun of fishing these waters is realising it'd cost you ?200 a day 100 yards upstream!!

J

john conway

Just checked the net:-
Arlington Reservoir 4 fish day ticket ?16
Boringwheel 4 fish day ticket ?30
Avington 4 fish day ticket ?60
Big difference in prices, I suppose you get what you pay for. Big fish, nice water and not too many anglers cost a lot of money. With more people moving south including future water problems in the south its going to cost a lot more.

R

Arlington...good fishing, water as clear as a carp puddle, average fish size around the 1lb-2lb mark.

Boringwheel...lovely place to fish, lawns like a bowling club. Water is dark due to it's ancestry, but it can clear for the top foot or so sometimes. Some big fish present, average size about 2lbs-4lbs.

Avington/Chalk Springs/Dever Springs/etc...water like tap water, that clear you can see your fly ten feet down. Some very big fish present...need I say more?

I guess the old saying applies here...you pays for you wants.