?1000 fly rod??

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Just checked out the latest mail order catalogue from Fishtec and found a 15' Hardy Angel Salmon rod at ?990. So probably ?1000+ next year.
How can any rod manufacturer justify such prices. Even trout rods are ?700.

I can just imagine my wife's reaction if I said I had bought one of those.

Bear in mind you can buy a new TV, DVD player, Hi Fi unit, and an all leather 3 piece suite from DFS for about the same.

I suppose there are those who will by these rods just because they are so expensive.

Certainly not me and I bet Ron won't either.

Colin

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Of course I won't Colin.

I've recently topped up my fly rod collection with two rods made for me to my own specs by Steve Parton on Harrison blanks.

The 10 footer was ?180 and the 8 footer was ?110.

In the whole world you will not get better blanks than Harrison.

Double handed salmon rods are very expensive, but again Harrison make some of the best blanks for this purpose. ?200 should see you right for a rod that will equal, if not surpass those you have mentioned.

NT

Reaction score
Roach pole prices used to be horrific and many times more expensive than fly rods, although I am not sure why.
I once heard of someone asking for a top of the range Hardy rod & then ask for mill end flylines to go with it!
These days flyrods are so much better and good value and I agree with Ron, you don't need to spend significant money.
I wonder how of those ?700+ rods they will sell. Although I have read the Loomis GLX at ?699 is one if not the best.
Neil.

S

Shrek

I disagree entirely and have to say that the only rod I am entirely happy casting with is a Sage XP!!!! It knocks spots off my Greyflex's and I would happily sell my children to own one.

So, I would advocate that the more you spend on a rod, the better it is and YOU WILL notice the difference!!!!!

(sits back and waits for any response that might have been provoked)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
As a Sage XP owner who am I to argue. I've never cast a better rod and I've cast with quite a few now. Nothing else feels quite the same.

But as to whether they're worth ?300.00 or so more than the best of the rest is another question.

R

Quite true Graham. I owned two Sage rods until they got nicked and if I still had them, I would be using them today. They are indeed fine rods.

But what gives me the virtual runs is the huge price they are in the UK. I am involved in the sale of American filters in Europe. The end user pays exactly the same as an end user pays in the USA taking the rate of exchange into account. In fact, probably a little less and that includes VAT.

Look at it this way, a Hardy rod sells for much less in the USA than a Sage or Loomis or Thomas & Thomas sells here.

Work that one out!!

But I am very happy with my Harrison rods. Dr Steve knows a little bit about blank design make no mistake.

S

Shrek

Yes, and you could buy from the States and take advantage of the exchange rate, HOWEVER you then get stung for import duty and taxes so it works out about the same, if not more!!!!

G

Ged

Doen't matter about the price. Get the balance right and be comfortable using it.

Peter Clarke 2

Reaction score
Hi Lads
As the owner of both a 15' and 14' Hardy Angel I would say that these are the best double handed salmon rods I have ever used.
You get what you pay for in this world and if spending that extra gets the best, go for it.

S

Sean Meeghan

Anyway why tell the Mrs? All new rods go straight into the garage and I've noticed that womwen can't count when it comes to rods - it goes one, two, three, many, divorce.

Didn't expect that last one!

Colin Brett

Reaction score
The only extra question I have on expensive rods is: if you and others didn't buy them at these hyped up prices, how long would it take for the prices to come down to realistic levels?

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Regarding buying from the States, not rods, I'll admit.
Friend orders Special Simms all singing and dancing wading jacket from the States, has to pay duty and taxes on arrival of jacket in the UK.
Still saves ?89 on UK price.
Certainly makes buying from the States worthwhile, except if it leaks!!
Colin

S

Sean Meeghan

I think with some brands Colin the answer is never. At the sort of markup they're putting on they don't need to sell that many items. The world is full of snobs and label peacocks who love parading their new plumage so there is always a steady demand.

I'm not sure where to draw the line between paying top whack for an engineering masterpiece and being fleeced for the benefit of displaying your obvious taste and wealth. I think the Simms Polartech Bib in the Fishtec is a good example of being fleeced (sorry couldn't resist it!) at ?129 for something which would cost you about ?40 in a bike shop.

I know you have to pay for expertly designed, craftsman built equipement and ?50 per hour might not be unreasonable. The question to ask is where is the stuff made and what are they paying for labour and materials. The answer to that question might well make your pips squeek!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Colin: "The only extra question I have on expensive rods is: if you and others didn't buy them at these hyped up prices, how long would it take for the prices to come down to realistic levels?"

It doesn't work like that. If you apply that reasoning to any item, fishing tackle or otherwise, if it had a realistic chance of happening, all you would have is no choice at all, just a bunch of goods all costing the same and with no difference in quality. Who would want that?

If an item is vastly overpriced, and there is no conceivable difference in quality, natural market forces will soon sort it out. Sage would have gone out of business a long time ago if that were true of them, but not all anglers buy a Sage rod just for the prestige value.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Interesting conclusion in this months Trout & Salmon rod test.
15' rods on test.

Quote "As previously, our testers were often sceptical of rods priced at more than ?500 [it seems the ?1000 rod is just over the horizon]. Some were deemed outrageously and inexcusably expensive, while the quality of the lower priced rods continues to improve year on year"

Colin

Colin Brett

Reaction score
"Graham: It doesn't work like that. If you apply that reasoning to any item, fishing tackle or otherwise, if it had a realistic chance of happening, all you would have is no choice at all, just a bunch of goods all costing the same and with no difference in quality. Who would want that?"

To a certain extent that has already happened in the tyre industry. Lots of different brands at roughly the same price. However those brands represent good quality and safety. They have also caused major brands to compete by lowering their prices.

"Graham: If an item is vastly overpriced, and there is no conceivable difference in quality, natural market forces will soon sort it out. Sage would have gone out of business a long time ago if that were true of them, but not all anglers buy a Sage rod just for the prestige value."

Agreed, on the market forces and I also except that not all by a Sage just for the prestige price, but there are a hell of a lot that probably do! If they didn't would Sage still be in business? I don't know the answer to that.

Colin

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Can't argue with you about much there Colin. There are probably lots of anglers like me who want to use the best there is and will wait until they can afford it rather than dive straight in for the cheaper stuff. In my own case though I don't necessarily buy 'labels', but go for the stuff I've tried, or has been tried by people I trust.

R

Changing the subject slightly, we come to fly reels.

If you look around you will notice a number of fly reels marketed by some of the mst famous names in the business. They are reels made from machined aluminium bar stock. Notice the similarity.

Take the spool off and the similarity is striking. Yes chaps it's the same reel with slightly different cosmetics, selling for up to ?200.00.

Now have a look at the Pflueger Trion Marketed by Shakespeare. The size 8 sells for just on ?60.00, the spare spools for ?25.

Yes, it's the same blinkin reel. Made in Korea by the way.

So if you want the best in aluminium bar stock reels, you now know what to buy.