Farlows, gone down the pan?

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
Recently I've been getting more and more frustrated with my local tackle shop, Farlows in London. Farlows used to be the pinacle among tackle shops down here and now its turning into something for the tourists.

I went in yesterday to buy some basic fly tying supplies. And was astonished to be told, "Oh no sir, we don't stock barbless hooks" They did last year!!! in this day and age surely this is a backward step. They also had no stock if hares ear!!! surely this is the most basic of Fly tying equipment. The guy that tried to help me was a temp, with no clue about fly fishing, whats going on with what used to be one of the best shops around?

Has anyone else found this?

Can anyone recomend a decent mail order supplier for fly tying kit. I tie fairly traditional flies and thus the excellent selection of luminous maribou in farlows wasn't really hat I was after. I've heard good about lakeland flytying? anyone else..

Thanks Rich

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Yes Rich

Steve Parton.

His fly tying materials are the best I have ever come across. And he is much less costly than Farlows you can bet. Most times you deal with Steve direct. You don't get a more knowledgable guy than Steve.

Tel: 0115 946 3572

For feathers you should also try Cookshill.

R

By the way Rich, might I suggest that if you can get to Chatsworth this years do so. All the top fly tying material suppliers will have a stall where you can buy anything you want.

The selection is mind blowing.

Keith Robinson 2

Reaction score
Richard, Go onto "fishing tackle equipment dealers" if you use Google it comes up first. You will find Steve Parton is on there as well.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Celtic Flycraft are pretty good too

R

They sound Welsh Ed,

Mind you, they could also be run by a Scouser.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
Just tried Steve, unfortunately he didn't have what I was looking for. But I think thats more to do with the bird flu scare and feathers being a bit scarce at the moment than anything else.

R

If you are after hare's ear, I have got literally sacks of the stuff.

My pride is South African Hare.

NT

Reaction score
I have noticed that Stapeley Angling Centre are running a little sparse on stock at the moment. I use:

Cookshill for natural furs & feathers
Rutland Flyfishing for most stuff www.rutlandfishing.com
Lakeland for most stuff (v good on imports)
Celtic Flycraft excellent for synthetics
and Steve Parton of course.

Glasgow Angling Centre (probably best comprehensive catalogue www.fishingmegastore.com)
Also worth mentioning are Fishtec / Sportsmail
The Anglian Water shops at Rutland & Grafham are also good and do mail order.

I like to see what I am buying at shows and demos to make sure I don't get any suspect materials.

Neil.