Fishing Atcham for Barbel

chubber

Reaction score
I was taken to Atcham last year Barbel fishing on the LDW stretch (I think) My mate lent me a Barbel rod showed me how to set up and supplied me with Halibut Pellets. Since that day My Carp tackle is developing Cobwebs and I've spent ?200 on Barbel tackle.
I was warned not to expect bites until the dark started to fall, but straight away witnessed a screaming take that had me mesmorised. My First ever Barbel was 6lb 8oz and still even after another trip to Atcham remains my PB. I also caught one smaller so didn't weigh it. But Ione thing that I will say is whatever the weather I think I'd rather go Barbelling and leave the Carp for others!

Another thing that I've also noticed is how other fishermen on the river will willingly stop and have a chat, probably to divulge information or to gain it, but I've not had many stop for a chat on stillwaters. Are river fishermen a different breed?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I think it depends where you are Chubber.Plenty of grumpy secret squirrels down on the Avon and Stour largely because the fish are so pressurised.That said I was fishing the Avon on the last day and I was lent a 17ft Preston rod to fish with as a try out by a chap I'd only just met.Charlie I think his name was and a real gent.

chubber

Reaction score
It's nice to meet people like that! I've learned a hell of a lot about fishing simply because I've befriended some older fishermen. I'm 33 and live just over the welsh border by the way, but I fish the severn at Atcham every chance I get now, with a mate from staffs, who is 55yrs old. I also fish my local area the Wye and stillwaters with a bloke in his 60's, both fishermen adopted me as a partner before I could even drive and have probably done so for the simple reason that I enjoy learning and am willing to learn. Now I repay them both by driving them to their venue's and having a chat and a laugh with them whilst hopefully catching fish. Youngsters today seem to think that they can learn just as much from the Angling press which isn't always the case. If only some of them would learn to keep their mouth zipped and thir ears open then they too could enjoy the honour that I've had.
I'm not purposely attacking youngsters, just pointing out that some of them think they know it all and get shrugged away by the older generation, when they could be learning and having a laugh like I do.

I can't emphasise enough the fact that youngsters should be taken under peoples wings and shown the ropes, but these days this is a danger to the teacher (sad isn't it)but it would stop them developing a liking for computer games and getting lazy or obese. Fresh air is what they need!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I might be giveing it a go at Atcham this comeing season Chubber.
You are right about some youngsters, I had one recently who had a problem, but every time I tried to tell him a way round the problem he interupted by saying I was wrong. I just left him to it in the end.
Anyhow, Atcham, I'll drop you a line if I go up there mate.