NWAC rod/reel deals

D

David Bourne

I am always thinking of adding to my armoury of fishing tackle and the NWAC pullout in the Angling Times this week caught my eye.

There are 3 fly fishing "starter" outfits advertised, NWAC website , and as I have a week holiday in April I thought I could book some fly-fishing lessons with my own kit.

I would like your opinions as to the merits or de-merits of these outfits, bearing in mind that I might not get on with the techniques/skills I will have to master.
I consider myself to be a bit of an all-rounder, mostly coarse fishing on canals, commercials and rivers with the occasional trip sea-fishing and think this would be another string to my bow!

Thanks in advance, Dave

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I would tend to advise you to see what sort of fly rod would be the best before spending the money.

Many "starter kits" can be a complete waste of good money.

Your instructor will have rods to try.

Here's a couple of tips before you visit your intructor.

Get hold of about 10 to 12 feet of rope, clothes line will do. Extend the rope behind you and hold one end at shoulder level with your elbow bent.

Flick it out straight in front of you. And then back.

Easy isn't it. This gets your mind off trying to cast the fly. Remember in fly casting you are not casting the fly, you are casting the LINE. The fly goes along for the ride.

S

Shrek

David, in all honesty don't do it!!!!

I've just had a look at the kits and the rods (the most important part of a fly fishing setup) aren't the best by a long chalk. To be honest, you'd be better off making up your own kit.

If you needed some starters, this might help:

Rod - Greys GRX. You'll find these are going at sub ?50 as they have a new range out, the GRXi. Excellent introductory rod.

Reel - Anything that will hold the line you want to buy. I don't use the drag on a reel so for me it's just a reservoir for holding the line so doesn't have to be anything fancy.

Line - Here's where you need to spend some cash as this makes a world of difference. Good lines at present are anything made by Shakespeare (Worcestershire, Snowbee Prestige, Partridge).

Flies and leader material are your own choice.

For starters, a 9' rod that has a #6 rating with a progressive action would be ideal.

Hope this helps.

D

David Bourne

Thanks Ron and Adrian for your replies and I am taking your advice, (apart from the clothes line thing, bit difficult from a council balcony Ron).

I have booked a casting lesson with Sportsfish at Theale near Reading next Friday and have had an offer of coaching/fishing and tackle from my local vicar.

I am expecting to do most of my fishing "wet-fly" style for coarse fish in conjunction with a baitcasting outfit along the Grand Union Canal in the summer.

However, thanks again for your advice,

Dave

M

mark williams 4

I generally aggree on Adrian's advice about reels, but I currently use Okuma wide-arbor Airframes. They're cheap, work really well, and can stand a few dunkings in saltwater (when you realise what incredible fun sea fly fishing is).