Lamprey section

D

Davy North

What are peoples verdicts on lamprey section as a pike bait. I've heard conflicting reports. I've never used it myself as yet, well not till tomorrow anyway.

C

Chris Bishop

Odd creatures to say the least. The heads are full of blood and gore and must leave a top scent trail as they defrost. Tails also drip blood, though not as much.

They're tough as old boots so you can cast them miles and they stay on well.

Problem I've had is they have tough skin, meaning they usually stay on the hooks when you hit a fish and can get thrown clear - taking the hooks with them - when a fish shakes its head.

You also seem to miss takes on them - I wonder if pike sometimes swallow tham down the "wrong" way, so the hooks don't make contact.

N

Nicky Garbutt

a bit of eel on a single hook works cause its full of blood. on the river tees i dont know were fishing it seem to work were other baits have been blown.

C

Chris Bishop

I get plenty of takes on eel and lamprey but find 'em hard to hook. I've just been given a pile of old Pikelines going back a few years and there are a few bits in there about hair rigging and single hooks. Not something I've ever tried I'm afraid.

D

Davy North

Tried them today for the firt time, got a take first chuck on one, but failed to hook. Next cast to the same place with a sprat resulted in an 8lb 4oz, not bad for the Tees.

N

Nicky Garbutt

for eel i use a sea hook about 0/1. it float fish them in close to the bank.

D

Davy North

If it's the tail section, Hook it at the thick end so the tail waggles in the flow.
The head section? dun-oh take your pick.
Perhaps head first so the open end washes out a scent trail.
I'm open to suggestions.

N

Nicky Garbutt

the head right thought the mouth type thing.
cut it in half and put it on a hook.

D

David OLoughlin

There's a place I get to fish a couple of times a year & late in the year eels are all over your worm including some really big swines. I've always fancied using one to have a crack for a decent pike.
If I was to try eel what opinions do you have regarding length, please?

C

Carp Angler

A one pound eel can be upto 10 years old.

If you fancy killing off a species that is already horrendously overfarmed, then chop 'em up and use 'em.

D

David OLoughlin

Thanks for that Rik. I didn't realise they took that long to grow. Part of me has put off trying eel & other fish because it would involve knocking them on the head. I haven't done this myself since I was a teenager, but this wasn't the consequence of making a decision not to.
I suppose I am guilty of being 'eelist'. I've always thought about trying a deadbait for Pike in this water & was thinking about fresh bait. Because I'm there having a break, I usually get back late after a family day out. Sea fish would be problematic & there isn't a tackle shop nearby that sells fish bait. I'd read that eel made good pike bait & as they are easy to catch at this place, I'd been thinking about trying a smaller one.
Maybe I should do what I would do at home & plan to buy bait - then again I can imagine someone saying what's the difference between buying a fish & catching it myself?
I don't mean to turn this thread into a discussion on the morals of using caught fish for pike bait, alive or dead.
I think I'll keep to my spinners & plugs.

R

Ray Bewick

C.A.- Oh yea, well what if its only 2 yrs old, does that make it ok?.
2 - 20lb + carp, 2lb + Roach, Tench 4 - 10lb + generally may be in that age range.

What about unpopular fish with the masses like Ruffe, Bleak & Gudgeon; yes they are small but its ok to use little, young, numerous & innocent baby fish eh! never mind they'll be dead in 5 yrs, perhaps by those nasty vicious Pikes.

As for chop 'em up the "poor worm" has suffered that for years.

What about Mackerel, Herring, Sand eels are they not also "horrendously over farmed"?

Anthropomorphism perhaps?.

Controversial?

shurely not you! Hic!

Ps. Lampeys - horrible looking things in life, wonder if thats got anything to do with it, along with an interesting fat content?

N

Nicky Garbutt

i use a big 2 inch bit on a single hook this works fine for the pike on my local ponds and rivers.

D

David OLoughlin

Thanks Nicky, I'll file that away in case I need it. Maybe I'll try a deadbait for a large eel instead??????? :)
I do think though that the poor old eel has a rough ride at times. I have to thank one for a bit of entertainment when fishing 2 Septembers ago. It wouldn't fit in my net so I had to beach it. When I lifted it out, there were three women who were swimming about 75 yards away. They saw it & ran off screaming, out of the lake & into the trees.

N

Nicky Garbutt

i fish it under a BIG stick float about 3 ssg shot to cock it. the shot right next to the trace. mount the eel on a size 0/1 sea hook. i use this rig just 2-3 rod lenghts out right next the to the liile pads.

a tip for you to keep any fish bait on a single hook use one of them little elastic bands. wrap it around a few times.

C

Carp Angler

Ray

Anthropomorphistic?
I don't think so.....
Since when did I mention that the eel had human qualities?

Emotive?
Possibly.....
Unlike breedable coarse fish, the eel comes from a finite stock because it breeds in the wild.

D

David OLoughlin

Rik, I think that's a good point about the eel's breeding habits, definitely food for thought.
I hear that at this lake & other places I've fished over the years, eels don't always get returned & they don't get used for food or bait either???????
I really don't understand that type of mentality.

D

Dave Johnson

David, ask Rik how much he loves eels when we are on the lower Severn at night over a carefully prepared carpet of barbel bait.......LOL

A POUND EEL MIGHT BE TEN YEARS OLD, WAIT TIL THEY ARE 3LB, WHEN THEY are breeding then use em for deadbits----although I've used em in sections as liveys....... c u in the morrow