Who invented PVA mesh/stocking?

B

BLAM

So Elite Angling products claim to have invented PVA mesh in 2003? I thought it had been around longer than that. It will certainly be interesting to watch the outcome of this one.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

a patent on the micro weave most likely

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Correct Frothey and Wol, they're refering to the weave, not the material.

matt

Reaction score
wasn't pva originaly used in the textile industry as a disolvable thread used to tack clothes ?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

The Monk knows more than myself about this, but I'll tell you what I know.

Polyvinyl Alcohol (correct short form is PVOH) has been around since before WW2. It was formed into all sorts of cloths and threads, certainly nets too.

By the way, PVA is the short form for Polyvinyl Acetate which is used in paints, hence PVA paints and coatings. It is NOT the correct short form for the stuff that dissolves.

One of the uses for PVOH was to wrap up floatation and life saving devices so that when they were in contact with water, the thread would dissolve.

As in many things, there is very little that is new in angling.

B

Big Rik

they also use a bag version in hospitals for putting soiled bed linen into, they then throw the whole bag into the washing machines, thus avoiding handling it twice.

J

Jeff Woodhouse

Who'd want to be a patents lawyer?

I just wonder which companies have been selling the products under their brand name and how much would same have cost if manufactured by Elite?

Damned stuff's dear enough as it is.

B

Big Rik

EAP is one of the cheapest on the market and is a brand I've recommended on here several times. Good stuff, yellow label, well recommended.
Their bags are very good.

L

little Stu!

If you ask me, I don't think any of this PVA nonsense holds water!

CAT

Reaction score
Nice to see that there are still people out there who are prepared to stand up for what they believe in and not let the big companies who do nothing but pinch ideas and then try to ride rough shot over everybody, good luck to them.

Dave Barnett 2

Reaction score
Am I going mad but wasn't it Korda who developed the PVA funnel web system and demonstrated how to use it back in 2001. Isn't the EAP PVA funnel web just a copy of the Korda one? It may be stating the obvious but isn't EAP copying Korda!! Earlier someone said its about the weave but all the PVA micromesh weaves are so small they look the same.
Minnow versus shark - more like the deluded versus insanity.
Or am I the mad one here?
Big Dave B

F

Frothey

all korda did was stick a tube down the middle of it and put it in a tube, mesh has been around for ages. the early stuff had problems with laddering until "someone" invented a different weave a little while ago.....

deluded? they've won so far.....

Dave Barnett 2

Reaction score
and gardner had the first anti ladder mesh on the cobweb bags, even before korda did the funnel.
I rest my case deluded

J

Jeff Woodhouse

Two people invent the same thing at the same time.

One pays a patents lawyer to file a claim for a patent and gets it. The other don't, but continues making it.

The other one is then copying - unless he can prove conclusively otherwise.

Dave Barnett 2

Reaction score
Jeff its a design right they are claiming i.e. what it looks like - a patent is how you make it -
what it looks like - they all look the same - and also it has to look unique against all other weaves, irrespective of application i.e. even different to your misses tights or any other weave product - cant see it myself but good luck to them - just mad to stake your business and house on it - a patent makes much more sense.

J

Jeff Woodhouse

I see what you mean having re-read the article. It's a bit of a cross-over though as it is going through the patents court. That's why I said before "Who'd want to be a patents lawyer?"

I wish I'd taken a few to task in the 60s then when I made the first ever (it was to me, cos I couldn't find one anywhere) extending bank stick! I fashioned it out of an old bra stand (that's another story) and everyone that saw said they never seen one before either. Think about it, I could be suing Dinsmores for ?millions now. :eek:)