I don't know which to believe??

chubber

Reaction score
Hello lads, I'm new to this forum and I just wondered if you could advise me on this query?
I've been reading my Carpology magazine today.
There was a section about monofilament, fluorocarbon and Braid. I've started fishing with Fluorocarbon hook lengths for the obvious invisbiltity factor. In this section it tells you to clean off Algae and weed from your Fluorocarbon because this will make it more visible to fish. After reading this I then read about the Camo rig, where you literally glue bits of gravel and grit to your hooklength to make it Camoflaged. Isn't this what they told you not to do in the other section?

Personally I don't know which to believe! if I invisage a carp under water sucking up some food and a line of gravel moved i would imagine the carp would get suspiscious. However after reading to the end, the bloke did actually catch a carp.

Which theory would you go for. Fluorocarbon or Camo rig?

L

little Stu!

Both theories

- the fluoro to be kept clean to lend itself to it's invisible strengths (being able to see right through it to the bottom of the lake/river bed)

- and the camo which you can't see through/isn't invisible so add additional texture to help it blend into its surroundings.

Hope this helps Chubber?

However, I'd probably steer away from both theories at the moment in my own fishing!

B

BLAM

I'm not sure there is too much of a contradiction. On one hand they suggest a possible method to keep a rig less visible and on the other to make a rig less visible.
Fluro tends to be stiffer than braid pound for pound and would thus sit straighter in the water. This might look suspicious if (a a la Indiana Jones and that invisible bridge in The Last Crusade) a straight line was very visible leading up to your hook-bait. On the other hand a camo rig is designed to look like several unconnected objects -thereby attempting to achieve much the same result by a different method.

The answer to your second question would be influenced by water clarity and what was on the bottom and what bait and what rig I was using.

FLUKE

Reaction score
The biggest issue for you to unravel is how to get a fish to approach your bait head-on to the bait, avoiding the hooklink. When you suss that one you will catch more fish no matter what youve got stuck to your hooklink!

C

Cakey

I think your worrying to much,have a look where fishes eyes are..........when they are about to take your bait they cant see the bait,hair,hook and at least 5" of hooklength !

T

The Monk

If carp are on the feed they will take anything regardless of whether the hooklength is camoed or what and if you are trying to entice wary carp to feed, then it all depends on the lake bed sustrate type, try alternatives on different rods until you find the one which works best. No body rerally knows what the answer is, we all experiement, there is no such thing as a carp expert despite what the rags would have you believe, it really is a case of experimentation and finding out what works on what water with what bait at what time under what conditions,which which particular fish, a minefield at times with so many variables. Check out how the locals are catching, where and what on, thats a good place to start

F

Frothey

and unless the waters crystal clear, they wont see it anyway!

lilypad

Reaction score
According to the "experts" I should not catch anything on my black, perfectly straight, Amnesia D-rigs. But I do.

T

The Monk

your looking good these days Frothy, been on a diet or something mate??

B

Big Rik

as usual the answer is that there isn't one rig to fit all situations.

Read back through the many rig articles on this site and you'll see this.

A specific rig is for a specific reason, be that to overcome an alleged problem for whatever reason.

Here are some variations just off the top of my head that would necessitate a different or revised rig.

Clean gravel/sand/clay bottom.
Weedy bottom.
Silty bottom.
Single baits.
Heavy feed.
Particle approach.
Method feeders.

So one rig for all situations?
Only if you want to limit your chances of catching.