where to take an old man!

chubber

Reaction score
My Dad has asked me to take him coarse fishing this summer. He's just retired from work and is lost for something to do. He wants to sit by a lake and catch smaller fish but here's the hard part. He doesn't want there to be many other anglers about for fear of showing himself up. I'm thinking of going to Lydbury to Walcot estate. Does anybody know if it's quiet at the weekends anymore?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I know lots of quiet fisheries but I only fish in the week, being retired affords me this luxury. You never said what part of the country you live so it makes it difficult to suggest anywhere.

N

NottmDon

Take him to the nearest river,hardly anybody fishing them as a rule, only barbel and speci lads and most of them dont come out till after dark (nor the barbel either lol)! Local canal perhaps? Commercials by their very nature attract a lot of anglers.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Tell your old man not to even think about looking silly because he blanks, we all do it plenty of times. Just get him out there and enjoy, that's what it is all about.
He would only get noticed if he caught plenty.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Avoid the Trent - they dont like old men there.

B

Your services are required on Bob's thread Nigel. Who do you refer to as my lord, your honour etc in a court of law.

chubber

Reaction score
I'm just over the welsh Border (I'm English so don't insult me by calling me Taffy or sheep sh*****.LOL) on the edge of Shropshire.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Walcott lakes can be excellent but you need either a BAA licence or day ticket for the one or a day ticket available from Ludlow tackle shop for the other. Some lovely tench in there but there are a lot of bream in there as well. Not always easy but Hey! fishing never is, is it?

You are well within striking distance of the Wye of course and The Red Lion stretch at Bredwardine is an excellent fishery.

This may be of help as well

chubber

Reaction score
Thanks Graham,
I fish a private estate on the wye a couple of miles from witney-on-wye where a freind of mine knows the bailif, but my Dad has specified that he wants to sit and relax so I'm afraid that river fishing is too mobile for him. He also suffers from bad arthritus in his knees after falling from a ladder when he was working.

I think it'll either have to be walcot pools or LLyswen on the way to Brecon.

A freind of mine keeps telling me how he caught over 100lb of tench one barmy summer evening.

Thanks for the thought Graham.

chubber

Reaction score
Paul after travelling that far with him, then I'd probably be getting abusive.

It's one thing taking him fishing, where I can set him up on the next pegtoo far away to hold a conversation, but it's another thing tollerating him for two hours in the seat next to me.

He's not too bad I suppose, just tells me stuff he told me a week ago all the time.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Ian, thats a good suggestion I'd forgotten about them, they provide excellent fishing and very little walking in fact you can park right by the pegs on some parts. Bit busy with matches at the weekends but its certainly good fishing and not all carp either though they are the prevalent species. I would recommend those to anybody but even more for someone who's retired and just wants to pass a few pleasant hours fishing in very pleasant surroundings. He will only need a tin of sweetcorn too that will catch everything including bream, roach, rudd, tench and carp.

Docklow pools

chubber

Reaction score
I've fished at Docklow and it is a nice fishery, but as for peace and quiet (when I went) it was really noisy and gave an atmosphere that I found quite intimidating. Maybe I'm too sensitive but I don't think it would be right for my Dad.
Walcot on the other hand, I've found people to be different there. I haven't fished the BAA side but on the Ludlow side they were chatty and welcoming.

Thanks for the advice though Gents, I've taken it all into account.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Where to take an old man ????

Ask Ron ---He's older than time ......

B

Have patience with your old man chubber.
It can be a hard job bringing parents up.

chubber

Reaction score
I know Baz, I've been doing it for 33 years. I worked with him in that time too.

N

NottmDon

Nigel I was looking forward to the new season on the Trent,now approcahing my 50th and wonder if maybe I am a little too old for this river now? Nothing a 50k facelift and body remodel wouldnt put right I imagine other members will send suitable donations in order that I can pass for an eighteen year old? :)