thuganomics

ne0311080

Reaction score
is it just me or has anyone else noticed that more and more fishermen are getting anoid at the rate of young fisherman that do not care about the fish they just rip hooks out of the mouths of fish and make all the other fisherman affried to say anything to them fo the fear of them doing somthin to them or your gear it is turning into somthin like a football hoolagens paridise . come on guys this is fishing its not like any other sport we go to relax and for the love of the fish and to make new friends we need to root thease yobs out and ban them all so we all can injoy our fishing that little bit more.

TIGHT LINES GUYS :)

chubber

Reaction score
I think it's because people are afraid of what may happen if they take a youngster along to coach them or introduce them to the sport.
I've just read on another forum about how someone's friend was arrested for child abduction for giving a friend ofhis son a lift home.
If we can't take youth's without being police checked then how are they supposed to learn the right way fromthe wrong ways?

I asked my wife "who's training to be a holistic therapist" yesterday if she had to go and get police checked before performing massages on people and she said "NO" so why do fishermen when they aren't even doing anything apart from taking someone along?
It doesn't seem right to me!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Officials of my club including bailiffs have just gone through these checks (volountarily) although it may become a necessity in the near future and quite rightly so.
I am sure the parents of these young anglers appreciate why we have done it. Not only that, it does put angling clubs in a good light in that they have taken the time and trouble, which is no trouble at all really to ensure that we do care about the youngsters coming into the sport.
all you have to do is fill out a simple form, provide three documents of I.D. and send it off. Checks are made and you recieve a certificate of clearence in approximately two months time.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I think that sounds like an extreme case chubber, some parents are very paranoid and overly protective. Obviously I can see where their fears are rooted, overeaction is luckily still fairly rare.

I think most parents would be happy for their sons friends dad or mum to take them fishing etc...

If you run a club for youngsters (whatever it is) then however I think you should have to be cleared to work with kids as not all the parents are going to know you. Unfortunatly as relatively rare as it is these sort of club positions can attract unsavoury characters.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Thanks Paul.
It doesn't make it foolproof for the genuine bailiff who has nothing to fear from these checks though.
All bailiffs should now go about in pairs incase some parent makes an allegation aginst you. It is just a matter of haveing another witness to counteract any allegation made against you for whatever reason. The child protection certificate would also give you some credability (hopefuly).
We can only do what we can and cover our selfs as much as possible.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I genrally fish rivers and the youngest person I have seen fishing this year has been Jonny Northmore in his early twenties and I am being completely serious.

I beleive we are seeing the last generations of river anglers.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
More room for me then :eek:)

Seriously I think you're right, it's too easy now to get to the nearest commercial with wooden decking, cafe and toilets then fish all afternoon in a puddle which was filled with fish first then water poured on till it just covered them.

Oops, not a thread about commercials is it, sorry.

No one young is prepared to wait on the river banks in the mud for a possible blank though, that's my point.

L

Les Clark

Nigel ,it`s the same on the water`s that I fish ( lakes ) ,I can`t remember the last time that I saw youngster`s fishing ,don`t know if it is the cost of the subs putting them off or the lack of interest ?

ne0311080

Reaction score
i wasent moaning about the young ones fishing after all we need them they grow into good fishermen my point was the abusive ones who make the older anglers feel like they shouldent be there. i have met a few young ones and learnt things from them most of them well i would say about 95% are good young fisherman just a few that let em down afterall im only 25 myself but my dad who is in his 60s gets abuse for just being older and its bang out of order