Moving far from home - advice needed on waters near Swindon

Fin the Fish

Reaction score
I'm making this thread for an old friend of mine with whom I've been fishing all my life. Jono and I have always lived and fished in Nottinghamshire, but now a career change means he has to up sticks and move down south to subtropical Swindon. Now we know there are some legendary rivers and the like within a reasonable driving distance (an hour at the most) but have no idea whats what and where is worth a look - so I humbly call upon the knowledge and experience of you lot to help him out!

We're looking for day ticket or free stretches but I'm sure Jono will consider getting a membership or two for the right places. We fish for everything but particularly zander and pike, barbel and chub, tench and to a lesser extent carp. Never been that fond of commercials but we love small waters and intimate, interesting rivers. Also any pointers for trout waters and sea fishing in the severn estuary would be nice!

If anyone can help us out it would be massively appreciated, thanks!

quickcedo

Reaction score
The Bristol Avon at Chippenham is good for Barbel and Chub (amalgamated ticket) The Thames at Tadpole bridge has some good Pike if you can find them but is also ok for Chub and the odd Barbel (honesty box at gate for day tickets)
Last bit of advice is PM Beaker (Rob) he's a Swindon boy and knows the waters well, and a top bloke too.

Fin the Fish

Reaction score
Thanks Mark, wasnt expecting a reply so soon - tah muchly!

Tapdole bridge on the Thames looks nice on google earth and we've heard so much lore about the Avon that itll definitely get a look in, so nice one for the tips! :) I'll drop Beaker a message as well.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Mate nearly forgot. Check out the Bristol and Avon canal too. The nearest point from Swindon is Hungerford (I think). Lots of Carp there. Also some good Tench and Pike. Sorry I have no info re the Zs

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Theres a ton of water around Oxford, many day ticket. The Thames at Richmond is free fishing, but a bit of a run.

I will be doing a Blenhiem Palace fishin later in the year, come along, many stay over at a local campsite, fishing from boats, and a good chance to meet others from FM.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
for those of you thinking about Blenheim, please note..........
Do make sure there are 2 oars on the boat and don't row back without raising the anchor.............
been there.......

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
for those of you thinking about Blenheim, please note..........
Do make sure there are 2 oars on the boat and don't row back without raising the anchor.............
been there.......

And how long did it take you to row back..........:) hahaha, are you going to this one ??

Morespiders

Reaction score
Just think of it Fin, you can go on the Bristol Avon after 2lb roach with Mr Spiller:D

Specihunter

Reaction score
club books around Oxford are £80 at most £15 cheapest but compared to linear thats cheap google jktackle they have a few books around the county. Glous has some great day tickets not to far from Swindon Esp around the Fairford + Lechlade area.