No Boilies allowed

P

Paul Clarke

Hi all. This coming season , i'm thinking of having a more concerted effort at the Carp in my local club water. It'll only be shortish sessions , maybe 4- 6 hours , mainly mornings and evenings , but there is a 'no-boilie' ruling on the lake. I'm not an experienced carper so was wondering what other options would you suggest for bait . I have spotted a few area's where these fish show so i have these locations to try but suggestions on non-boilie baits would be appreciated . Cheers in advance. Paul

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I'll come in on this one mainly because I've not seriously carp fished for years, and when I did, the term - boilie did not exist.

All a boilie is Paul, is a paste bait that has been boiled to put a skin on it.

So don't boil it.

Nothing stopping you using a whole variety of boilie mixes made up as pastes. You don't need to boil them at all.

But use your imagination.

A carp will eat anything - as long as it has not leaned that what you are offering it is dangerous. Some of the biggest carp I have ever caught in my life have been taken on things like bread, worms, sweetcorn, luncheon meat and cheese.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Sorry Ron, that is dodgy advice about not boiling your paste to put a skin on it, and a very old trick which has long since worn out, it is the contents of a boilie that clubs put a ban on for whatever reason.

I agree with the rest of your advice though.

B

We could say that about every thread Stu. I don't frequent the carp section that often so this question is fairly new to me.
I am not saying the clubs or whoever are right or wrong, but this is what some, not many of them nowadays decide on for their own reasons.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Can anyone tell me what is intrisically wrong with the ingredients in a boilie.

As far as I can see, there is nothing but good fish food.

B

Big Rik

As with most bans, it's because of a lack of education, be that the fishery owners for not knowing what makes a good bait, or the anglers for throwing in too much bait.

This is generally the cause of boilie bans, non carp angler sits there and sees carper catapult in 100 boilies, which seems like a hell of a lot of bait, but in reality is about a third of a kilo.
Ill informed non carper complains to committee, who ban boilies.

It's always better to educate, but as we all know, some people refuse to learn anything, or already profess to know it all.

L

Les Clark

Baz,A paste is a paste ,it can be a boilie mix ,cheese paste ,bread paste or any paste that you can make up ,if there was a bread based boilie ,would you then have to ban bread paste ?

L

little Stu!

windr you neck in hitler, perhaps it wasn't aimed at you! (hope that doesn?t bruise your ego too much)

No my old mate Ronald either...., but perhaps at the club who seem uninspiring to say the least!

T

The "REAL" Baz

I think Boilies should be banned from every water. I fish a water called Burton Mere and afew years back they lost alot of BIG Carp due to Boilies rotting on the bottom. This is due to some Carp Anglers prebaiting with a few kilos which is redicules. So my appion is to BAN them compleatly and go back to conventional baits. But thats my thourght's...

D

David Gifford

My view is that boilies should be allowed but sold at the venues, so that the owners know what exactly is being used.

Also control over max amount anglers can purchase for each session.

Most match lakes seem to get it right, they only allow 1 pint of maggots per angler per session,

Mind you Ive only been Carping for a few years so maybe Ill end up starting world war 3 :-(.

N

NottmDon

Wouldnt mind being mates with one of the carpers who throws "tons" of boilies in any lake,he must be a lottery winner at the very least;)

Good,bad and indifferent anglers exist throughout all the disciplines of this sport, these sort of 'generalising' statements/arguments just seem to do the rounds every once in a while.

If fisheries add many more bans they may well qualify for free membership of "PeopleEatingTastyAnimals" some of the bans are as far fetched as some of the statements about boilies thrown in by the wagon load.

If angling is to have a future it would need anglers to work together to make sure that coarse/game/sea fishing is something we can hand down to future generations in a better state than we found it.
Some chance of that when one views some of the nit picking arguments that have been on the forums of late.
Maybe I should put an order in for an XBox now? :)

B

Nit picking, jumping the gun, and mis reading what has been said springs to mind Don.
And yes I am fuly aware of what a paste is. What I did say was that some clubs not many, in fact I only know of one club that does ban boilies of which I am not a member, make these decisisions for what ever reason. To them a boilie is a boilie no matter what shape or form it comes in.

I was merely giveing you a polite reply and explanation, so you wind your neck in flubber.

L

little Stu!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I?ve just joined a club who?s rules are probably the best I?ve ever heard of, seen, willing to adhere to, support and totally agree with. The rule book is really simple in that there is only one rule:

If you fish without due care and attention to the fish or those who fish around you, then you?ve broken the rule.

This would mean common sense, care, consideration, understanding, experience and so on and so on??.its such a shame that other club and rule setters including bailiff?s don?t follow suit!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

"there is only one rule"

"If you fish without due care and attention to the fish or those who fish around you, then you?ve broken the rule."

Really?

L

little Stu!

Being serious for one min Wol, then yep thats straight up.

You can use bait boats - if you take the piss your off!
Barbed or barbless - if you take the piss your off!
leaqdcore or leaders - if you take the piss your off!

It's a very new wave ruling, but think about it - if a rule is there, then it will be broken, these guys are just saying we all own a piece of this, we're not little hitlers but at the same time look after with care and consideration our club.

B

They own a piece of nothing. All they have got is a licence to fish it, and the one rule thing is open to abuse.
It seems to be the in phrase this past two years that we (the anglers) can look ater the water, and we don't need bailiffs.

L

little Stu!

ermmmmmm.....wouldn't happen to be a bailiff would you Baz? perhaps? maybe?

Can't wait for the answer to this one.......you are aren't you?

it'll be a yes or no answer please!