Abu 505

gardiman

Reaction score
When in trouble join. I have acquired 2 Abu 505's in vgc. Only problem seems to be removing the winding cup. In the manual it looks simple, take of outside cover- check. Push in protruding pin and turn clockwise, The pin will not depress and thus I can't remove the cup. Does anyone have any ideas, please.
Thanks

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

At 1,20 am it looks like I solved my own problem I was assuming the pin depressed and not wishing to damage anything just didn't use enough grunt, sorry to have bothered anyone.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Years since I had a 505, lovely in their day and I wouldn't mind one now for old times sake.

Not sure what is meant by "Push in protruding pin", but it was my policy to tighten up the drag as much as possible, and turn the cup off. One thing that fools many people though is, the cup is screwed on anti-clockwise as you look down on it and therefore screwed off clockwise, different to normal screws.

On the new models, 704 and 706, there is a little button at the back that locks the entire winding mechanism. Push this in and unsrew cup in above way.

Anyway, as you say, case solved. Enjoy using them and take good care, they won't lose you any money from now on, they're an investment.

lizd

Reaction score
I've just joined the forum to ask that very same question but I still can't open my 505.
This was a wedding present from my husband some 40 years ago and has caught me plenty of fish from Nile Perch to Tiger fish. My daughter and I are off to the Lower Zambezi Valley this week hoping for Tiger and I wanted to change the line - I must have taken that spool out a hundred times over the years but now I'm totally flumoxed. I can't push that pin in although I did remember that it unscrews the other way. Any ideas? WD40?

lizd

Reaction score
WD40 - wonderful stuff! Lower Zambezi River - here I come!

quickcedo

Reaction score
WD 40 and a big hammer.

and yes I am envious of the fishing. There I said it and I feel better:)

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
When in trouble join. I have acquired 2 Abu 505's in vgc. Only problem seems to be removing the winding cup. In the manual it looks simple, take of outside cover- check. Push in protruding pin and turn clockwise, The pin will not depress and thus I can't remove the cup. Does anyone have any ideas, please.
Thanks

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

At 1,20 am it looks like I solved my own problem I was assuming the pin depressed and not wishing to damage anything just didn't use enough grunt, sorry to have bothered anyone.

too depress the winding/pick up pin (to prevent you putting too much force on the plastic pin itself) press the big black button on the front of the winding cup ,tighten up the drag wheel then grip the handle and leg of the reel in one hand too prevent gears from moving and give the winding cup a smart clockwise twist (like you would a jam jar lid) too loosen it then spin it off .

lizd

Reaction score
Survived the Lower Zambezi, caught a couple of very nice tiger fish. Been back twice since, last time decided to use the vintage Abu diplomat rod instead of the Mickey Mouse Devil stick (telescopic so much easier to transport). Just as well I did as last week landed a 6 kg tiger and I don't think the telescopic would have been man enough for the task. OK, here's the question. The Abu 505, although cleaned and greased, slipped a few times. I guess the gears are worn and maybe it's time.............. what to replace it with? I like the Abu but what is the modern day equivalent? I have a couple of little Shimanos and a Daiwa but they're better for bream fishing. I plan on going back to the Lower Zambezi when finances permit but in the meantime, a little retail therapy on ebay or online will while away the time. Any ideas?
Forgot to say, in case you didn't realise it, I live in the middle of Africa and prefer that kind of fishing - sunshine (pretty much all the time) except in the rainy season when you don't fish anyway. No nasty cold rain and wind and the biggest problem is keeping the drinks cold! Done the cold fishing variety many years back and have no intention of doing it again!

Last edited:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
You can pick up 505s on Ebay, but you might be better looking at one of the Shimano Fightin Drag reels. The Exage, Super GTM or Stradic in a 3000 size will be roughly the equivalent of your 505, but a 4000 might be better for the sort of fishing you're doing.

Very jealous of the warm weather angling - a bit grim over here at present!

lizd

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Sean. Someone had already suggested a Shimano 2000 - don't know which model but I'll have a little browse online and see what I can find.

The rains have started here now so that makes access to fishing spots around here a little more difficult. There's a few dams, lakes and of course the Kafue River locally but we are only likely to catch bream. The Zambezi is very special as you can fish and game view at the same time. Bonus!