making lures

glider

Reaction score
I`m looking at making some of my own lures and need to know the method of attaching the hooks, do you use a screw in eye and split ring?

T

Tomo(B.A'S)

yes mate simlar too those that hold your window nets up.
smallest split rings you can buy and your on your way............

glider

Reaction score
excellent! being a carpenter i felt it time to put the traning to to a better use

glider

Reaction score
Thanks chico excellent sites ,by the way my wife voted for you on x factor LOL

Chico

Reaction score
they are both excellent, I hope you get something from them.

Your wife has little or no taste.

fergal

Reaction score
you can also drill a hole, fit a swivel in then drill another hole to fit a pin/nail through the eye of the swivel you just put in the hole but leaving the other eye of the swivel outside the lure to attatch your split ring. does that make sense? you then fill the hole with resin or filler or whatever you use

Nick Haynes

Reaction score
make sure you put some strong glue on the thread of the loop when you twist it in for the last time!

B

Budgie Burgess

I like to use car spray paints.Massive range of colours.I then cover the whole lot in a coat of two part resin.

If you check out the Dutch site Chico lists they give you some great painting tips and colour schemes.

David Craine

Reaction score
A more secure way is to cut a groove along the full length of the lure, and insert a wire trace which you have cut to length and attache swivels to either end with crimps for the hooks /line eye. fill the groove with waterproof filler, and sand down smooth before painting..I used the screw in eye..but only once, never again.you can also make the lure in two halves, and insert rattles, etc glue together with wire in place.The permutations are endless.

M

mark williams 4

I would never rely on screw-in eyes to hold the hooks - always work loose eventually, as they do on cheap lures.

It's worth drilling right through, then adding a wire loop which you glue in with epoxy. Use finer guages of modeller's 'piano wire'

Chico

Reaction score
David and Mark,

a little information is a dangerous thing, a little info badly desribed is worse.

If anyone does want to discover more about lure making check out the sites I mentioned, there are more though if you look about.

There is simply nothing wrong with screw eyes providing they are the right ones for the task and fitted correctly, maybe the likes of Hughes Rivers and Trueglides get it wrong everytime? No I don't think so.