Stalking rod..

• Thread starter Richard[reformed fly angler]Huggett
  • Start date
R

Richard[reformed fly angler]Huggett

Is it worthwhile buying a separate stalking rod does anyone think? I used to have a tiny little 8' 5 rated rod which I used at the clearwater fisheries, frightened the life out of me when I hooked a five pound rainbow on it let alone a double figure fish.
Ron...do you use a dedicated stalking rod?
If so...which?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Not really Richard. For waters like Avington etc, a 9 foot 6 weight rod is ideal.

If you are fishing for big rainbows, a 5 weight is a little undergunned in my opinion.

Peter Cockwill uses a 9 1/2 foot 7 weight most of the time I believe. And don't use less than 8lbs fluorocarbon on these waters.

R

Thanks Ron..I'll stick to my usual gear I think.
I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to leader material...I've had a spool of 10lb Shakespeare Gold mono, had it for years, kept it total darkness and it's never let me down. If I need to go a bit finer I use 6ld Daiwa something or other, had that years as well. Bought some fluoro once, didn't like it and went back to the Shakie Gold.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

You will find that a lot of fluoros today are very good indeed. At the moment I am field testing a new fluorocarbon that is not on the market yet.

All I can say is that it is brilliant. No memory, is stronger at the knots and I think with advantage will take the market by storm.

Personally I wouldn't trust nylon over a year old.

keora

Reaction score
I think the idea of a stalking rod is more appropriate to carp fishing, where anglers use long powerful rods to cast heavy rigs into the next parish, and sometimes have a shorter softer rod for close range fishing.

I suggest you don't need a stalking rod for trout fishing. To me the beauty of trout fishing is that it's a simple technique which requires the minimum of equipment. Why burden yourself with two rods ?

R

Quite true Keith...my days of lugging a shed load of equipment are well and truly over now.

I always used to carry two trout rods all set up...one with a sinking line and one with a floater on, but checking back through my records I'd say that 90% of the time I only used the one with the floating line on.
This time around it will be one rod/reel/spare spool/bag and net and everything else in my waistcoat pockets.