Scottish Borders

Peter Bennett 3

Reaction score
I'm going on holiday in May to a spot in between Jedburgh and Hawick. Does anybody know of any coarse fishing in the area, preferably one that allows dogs.

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
Castle loch at Loch Maben is a day ticket water and good for Bream and Tench. Further west there is Loch Ken which is vast and good for Pike, Bream and used to have some terrific Roach, if you could find them as the water is vast. Used to be day ticket but have not fished the area for 5 years.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
There isn't any closed season in Scotland on rivers, in fact there is no licence system as there is in England and Wales but there are rules.

If you can find the necessary information on the web there is some really good fishing on the rivers but you need permission to fish. There is a tackle shop in Glasgow that might help you with this.

Coarse fishing in Scotland is much wider spread than it used to be and some of the reports I have read make it a very worthwhile prospect whilst on holiday. Good roach fishing, excellent pike fishing, and some of the Scottish rivers are purported to hold enormous chub in abundance.

fred hall

Reaction score
Castle Loch at Lochmaben is still available on day ticket and I believe you can also get a season permit. There is a noticeboard on the carpark by this loch on the road from Lockerbie. I'm not sure there are many tench or carp but certainly there are roach and big bream.
Number one son has talked me into having a day on Loch Ken at Easter so I'll let you know how we get on.