d rig v straight through pop up

chalky

Reaction score
hi is there a reason for useing a d rig , or is it just another of those things to get new carp anglers confused why not just connect straight through the pop up boilie as in a normal boilie,thanks and tight lines ...chalky.

ByNasty

Reaction score
Chalky, I can only go off my past experiences and you have to bear in mind I am by know means a technical angler, but I've found my hook holds when using d-rigs with fairly stiff, short links for pop-ups have given me far better hook holds that a standard hair rig. I suspect it's to do with the angle that the hook hangs below the bait, more claw like I suppose. Maybe aome of the other resident rig geniuses that peruse the forum can give a better insight? All I can say is I have complete confidence in presenting pop-ups this way although I'm sure there are many variations on the rig that will work equally as well.

matt

Reaction score
The D rig was invented by roger smith a legend in his own dinner time. On the principle that when a carp tries to eject the boile it slides down the D and pulls the hook along so the point goes into the bottom lip rather than a shank or bend tied hair that may pull the point away from the bottom lip under the same circumstances.

Hope thats understandable!!

chalky

Reaction score
hi lads thanks to BYNASTY AND MATT your tips have helped a lot cheers lads and tight lines...chalky.