Portaboat

• Thread starter David OLoughlin
  • Start date
D

David OLoughlin

I noticed that in Coarse Fisherman 1st in August Des Taylor & then this month Tony Miles both sung the praises of the Portaboat. Certainly on their website the boat looks impressive.
Has anyone had experience of this boat?
Does anyone know if I can get one in this country & if so how much?
It appears to be just thing I'm looking for - the big question is it & is it affordable? Cheers!
(If anyone wonders what I'm doing on the site at this time with the football on - it's behind me & I can't watch).

R

Richard Drayson

David, I haven`t seen the boat you mention but you might like to try SMP Electronics (01276 855166). They used to produce a portable boat that folds flat and can be carried quite easily. John Wilson used one in one of his programmes a while ago.

D

David OLoughlin

Thanks Richard. I'll give SMP a call next week. Portaboat e-mailed me a few hours ago to confirm they do have an agent in this country if anyone is interested.
I'd still like to hear of anyone's experiences if you have any?

A

Alan Fawcett

I haven't actually used one on the water but i have seen one in use.

All i can say is I WANNA PORTABOTE it had an outbord on n it went like a bat outa hell up the manchester ship canal.

I'm saving for one (gotta give up smoking first) i belong to a members club that gets me a discount on a portabote (not much only about 5% but it still saves me money)

If you're still around in 25yrs (thats how long it'll take for me to pack up smoking n save for one) I'll let you know how it does :)

D

Dave Johnson

I s that ANet memeebrs Alan.....saw the boat on wilsnso programme whenb he was piking on a Norfolk lake-looked Ideal. My mate Jase the weed I mean bream is after something like that for his winter bream campaign on Copmere

D

David OLoughlin

check the site out www.portaboat.com
3 sizes 8.5, 10.5, 12.5 feet. As for speed they claim that with 1 man, a 3.5 hp engine will get up to planing speed in 5 seconds.
What I'm worried about is a boat not taking much weight in the stern. I currently have a 10ft clinker style boat that is in the Lakes (I want something portable). I'm 6'7' & 20 stone, I tried an engine once - I could only see sky.

A

Alan Fawcett

Dave J
Yeah thats the members club mate Loads of good bargains to be had with the discounts involved.

Dave O

The funniest thing i ever saw was a chap trying to use a RUBBER dinghy with an outboard on it !!!!!!!

He'd obviously seen the rib's with them on & thought he could do the same by putting a wooden "structure" at the back of a large rubber dinghy & putting a bloody great big kwackazaki out board on it LOL

It sank as soon as he pushed it away from the bank he looked really confused as he walked back to the bank :)

I'll leave you to guess what i was calling him under my breath :p

D

David OLoughlin

I know this sounds a bit ridiculous & that I have appeared to answer my own thread, but the company's representatives have replied already.
8’ (2.6m) ?1363
10’ (3.2m) ?1469
12’ (3.8m) ?1598
Ouch! - I think I'll have to save up. Now I gave up smoking 8 years ago.............????

D

David OLoughlin

& when you turn it upside down it makes a perfectly functional brolly!!!

R

Rodney Wrestt

& we have matching storm caps which fit perfectly onto the row locks.

D

David OLoughlin

& the storm poles make perfectly good masts to which one can attatch a sails.

C

Chris Bishop

Dave, why not get a "plastic" 10' dingy - roof rack-able and you can pick 'em up second hand for around ?100. Check out Exchange and Mart, Loot etc.

D

David OLoughlin

I think it's back to the drawing board - if I get one big enough I should just about get me & the tackle on???

B

Brian Brotherton

David

Who did you contact in the UK regarding portaboats.

Thanks

Brian

D

David OLoughlin

Brian try these e-mails, I found them very prompt. If you send me a message I can forward you all the information they sent me, (if anyone else is interested they can do the same).

IntraMore Ltd., 28 Regent Road, Lowestoft, Suffolk NR32 1PB
Tel/Fax: 01502 583844 Mobile: 07990 554292
Email: RCJackson@CompuServe.com or jjackson@intramore.fsnet.co.uk

Graham any chance of a Portaboat for the next caption competition prize???? I fancy my chances??? :)