Artificial baits

S

Spoddy Dave

Have tried and tested most types of artificial baits including sweetcorn maggots and luncheon meat.

With great results.(good)

But how safe are they to use?

After choking on a piece of steak last night,it occurred to me,big piece of fake luncheon meat,greedy carp,braid snaps.

Can't be good for the fish to have this lump of synthetic rubber?,plastic? inside can it?(bad)

Any thoughts.

S

Spoddy Dave

i'm the ugly by the way,when i was born i was so ugly they slapped me,my mom and the midwife.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

How big does a fake piece of bait have to be before it can be got rid of naturally ?
This is why it was not recomended to put balsa sticks into deadbaits because the pike can't get rid of them naturally through their anal duct/canal or whatever it is called.

I would imagine a fake piece of luncheon meat would cause the same problem.

S

Spoddy Dave

How big does a fake piece of bait have to be before it can be got rid of naturally ?That's it Baz exactly.

I've caught on a piece just a little smaller than a matchbox,but never lost any yet.

And how long does it take to breakdown?

B

BLAM

There are all manner of undigestable things on the river/lake bed. Sticks and stones are routinely covered with all sorts of grubs and crustaceans. What are you going to do about all these natural hazards? Put warning signs under the water?

S

Spoddy Dave

Its hard to protect fish from natural hazards.

But we can protect them from unnatural ones.

B

And natural hazards are blown out as soon as they are taken in. Unnatural ones have a hook in them and are often swallowed.
How long does it take them to break down??

S

Spoddy Dave

They know the difference between a stone and food.
You see your fish at home suck in gravel and food and spit out the gravel.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Don't agree Baz. Any artificials I've used (admitidly only small ones) have by nature needed to be hair rigged. Subsequentley all fish have been landed with the bait still on the hair. So I can't see that they are "often swallowed". That said, not sure I'd be happy using fake baits "the size of a match box"!! Tight lines lads!

B

Big Rik

no, they take in food and non-food and eject the non-food items.

"Unnatural ones have a hook in them and are often swallowed."

Often swallowed? How do you work that one out?

S

Spoddy Dave

If the bait stays on the hair,all well and good.
But if it leaves the hair,then it can be swallowed.

B

Fake baits can be and are flavoured, I would have though that an artificial treated in this way would be more readily swallowed.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Speaking with some experience rather than mere opinion, I've caught hundreds of fish on fake baits, including some big catches of chub and barbel on trotted rubber casters, carp off the top and bottom on fake corn, boilies, bread and luncheon meat and have never yet noted a problem with fish swallowing them.

If this was a real danger rather than a summised one then we would also have to stop using plastic boilie stops, pellet bands, bait spikes, paste springs, some lures and..........so on.

S

Spoddy Dave

Just phoned enterprise tackle and they said their fake luncheon meat doesn't break down.

So best keep to the size of a boilie or smaller to be safe i think.

B

I'm thinking more of the larger sized fake baits than casters or sweetcorn.

B

They swallow food don't they? So why shouldn't they swallow an artificial?

F

Frothey

if we give them the credit some of us give them, cant they tell the diffence between (for example) fake bread and the real stuff? wont luncheon meat feel all wrong?

B

But doesn't smell and taste have a part to play? There are new fish every year, thousands of them that have never even seen a piece of luncheon meat, so how would they know what it should feel like?