Hair rig length

Nick D

Reaction score
should hair rig lengths be fairly short or is it ok to have longer ones? Mine are around 15cm at the moment and i was wondering if this was too long

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I usually have my bait just about standing off the bend of the hook for carp. ButI suppose it all depends on what hair rig material you are useing. Mine is usually mono.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Nick - are you referring to the length of the hair? Or the length of the hook link?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Hair rig i'd say but so many variables, for simplicity about 3mm below the bend for the top of the bait to be. Try looking at the rigs page here on FM, some good reading and ideas.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Nick.
If you do mean the hooklength, then going on what has been said on past threads, it is best to experiment on different waters, lake bed conditions, and situations and hooklength materials. I personally have always used hooklengths around ten inches, for all situations and conditions and caught my share of carp on gravelly bottoms or in deep silt, but I am not as into carp fishing as some of the lads on here are.
Last week I was with one carper who only uses hooklengths of six inches, and he catches more than anybody else. But he also knows the particular water that he fishes on like the back of his hand, which may or may not be more important than the hooklength.
Incidentally, he uses a stiff hooklength with a braid hair tied seperately.

Ade

Reaction score
i usually have 1.5 inch hair and vary the hooklengh to suit conditions ,bait

catman

Reaction score
Depends enirely on what the lake bed is like and what hooklength material you are using. Silt, weed or anything that a lead will bury into on the cast will require a loger supple hooklength (15cm+). Hard gravel bottoms could have a 5cm supple hooklength or a 10cm stiff hooklength. On a hard gravel bottom i would recomend Korda Hybrid (10cm) with the last 2cm stripped.

B

Bill Cox

4 inches for most situations but will alter to suit conditions if i think its needed.