would this be possible?

John Crosby

Reaction score
hi all,
having just joined this fantastic site,also seeing quite a few names from a certain other barbel site. i have often thought of this and wondered if anyone else has tried it. is it possible to use a lot of hemp in a pva bag if the if mixed with a bit of groundbait to absorb the water? i.e to get a lot of bait out accuratly.
any comments would be gratefull
many thanks john

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Just use a baitdropper, spod or a large groundbait feeder. It's much quicker and cheaper.

Hemp dries out in groundbait and will float after a while.

J

john conway

Yes and No, you have to do it on the bank and fast. Not tried it for barbel but I've had a go with grass carp on the canal. I was slightly successful with drying the hemp in a paper hankie along with sweet corn but it still had to be done on the bank and quickly. BTW the reason for all this faffing about was the grass carp would only take a free lined bait and casting with a bag of hemp/corn on the hook was quite easy if I was quick, however, I was only casting underhand.

Jason Speck 2

Reaction score
John you could try this.
Get say a Tescoe bag.Cut the bottom.Then sew it back together at the bottom with PVA thread/string.
Add as much bait as you want really.Then lower in the bag.Leave it for a while and let the PVA dissolve.
The wind in.Hey presto,lots of bait on the bottom.

You will need for this method,an old beach caster rod with heavey line ect.

Obviously this is a near bank swim tip.I doubt you could cast it mate.

Cheers Jason

Jason Speck 2

Reaction score
Forgot to add.You must secure the bag at the "handle end" to stop the bag staying,in the drink

J

john conway

You could possibly cast a small plastic bag of bait with 10lb or 12lb line. Put the reel you intend to fish with on your spod rod, clip up your line then cast in. After retrieval swap your reel back onto your main rod with the line still in the clip. When you cast in your bait, provided you get your direction right, you should hit the same spot as your ground bait.
If you've after barbel, unclip your line after casting in and tie a marker knot "power gum" onto your main line so that you can hit the right spot once again. Don't fish with your line clipped up for barbel or you'll end up loosing your rod or a snap off. Snag fishing is different ball game, one were you need to be on your toes and geared up to stop any run developing.

M

Mark Hodson

I do like the tesco plastic bag idea, i reckon I could chuck one at least 30 yards with a beachcaster, going to experiment in the garden tommorrow.

R

Robert Woods 1

I find ASDA bags better as they have holes in them to let water in.

B

Bob Watson

Get some good oil (hemp oil but cheaper than the tackle shop) from your local supermarket, soak your hemp in it and you'll be able to PVA bag/mesh it no problem.

M

Mark Hodson

Experiment complete and now have an advance on Jason's superb tactic.

1. Scrub the beachcaster
2. Prepare the bag as per Jasons instructions
3. Tie the top of the bag to make the whole projectile as arodynamic as possible
4. tie the lot to your usual carp/barbel set up mainline
5.Place the rod on rest/rests targetting the desired feeding area but pointing skywards.(with bail arm off and allowing line free passage through rests)
6. Using an javilin, discus, hammer (what ever you like) style throw lauch your bag to its desired destination.
7. Let the pva do its stuff, reel in empty bag
8. Results, 2kg bag thrown 25-30 yards with 5 ft accuracy 95% of the time, and thats only with 5 mins practice.

All in the spirit of Barnes Wallace.

Jason Speck 2

Reaction score
Lads,
I'd love to say 'twas my idea.But I got it a couple of years ago from Liam Smyth,the older and better looking of the two brothers.
But It has worked pretty well for me.

Cheers Jason

B

Bob Watson

Let me be more lucid.

"Good oil" for those of you that don't know, is actually pure hemp oil, fit for human consumption (do a google, you can survive quite well on it), it's sold in Tescos etc for about ?6.99 for a litre bottle. You can probably buy the same product from your local tackle dealer for ?6.99 and get 75ml, nuff' said!!

Eric! I sussed that you didn't take the post seriously, but I'm still working on why

eric walker

Reaction score
bob i was laughing at my mates post bob woods so bob would have known i menyt him sorry mate it was not your post. personally if i was going to use hemp which i use less of these days as i find better baits for feeding the swim. tend only these days to use hemp when method feeding mixed in with pellets and oils and crushed pellet crumb.i do use pva mesh which i make of crushed pellets and pellet . i then soak them in oilto bind the crumb. very effective. you could soak any bait including crushed hemp after its dried out and then soak it in oil. very tim taking crushing your own hemp so i mix mine with bought crushed hemp with what ever pellet i use .as some one stated above much cheeper to either use a swimfeeder or method dependant on where your fishing of course

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I like the Asda bags as they have holes in.

Can we buy holes for putting in bags?
Nice one Bob, I don't think some of us got your humour.