Does disability really matter when fishing?

I

Ian Cloke

This article just goes to show, it doesn't matter what difficulties you have in life, fishing is a great leveller. I hope Wayne can go on and achieve his goals, one of which is to fish for England.

This is a dream come true for young Wayne, he can now fish whenever he wants(or is able). As the guys from Champion Baits have agreed a sponsorship deal with him, so the worries he had about bait prices no longer apply:))

Thankyou Graham for putting such a worthy story up;-)

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have a feeling I know this lad and his father, he had an accident whilst motor bike racing when he was about 17 or 18 and comes from Pershore in Worc's. I used to ring him up with advice when he first started, his father asked me to because he knew I was into fishing. He was dead keen but he went through a spell of buying hundreds of pounds worth of tackle and giving it to his scrounging mates, all paid for out of his compensation award which his dad told me was running out fast, especially when he bought a Ford Cosworth.

Could this be the same Wayne do you know Graham, or were you just given the story for publicity?

I

Ian Cloke

He is from the Worc's area Graham, I'm not sure exactly where though? I'll find out later;-)

I

Ian Cloke

He is the lad you're on about Graham, he's now about 26. If you want to contact him, pop onto our site:- disabled-angler.co.uk

I'm sure he would appreciate an email, or something:))

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

What a great example he is, not only to others with disabilities but also us able bodied anglers. Makes the occassional difficulties we have seem so unimportant.

C

Chris Bishop

I've been involved in some disabled opportunity awards through work for years.

It's brought me into contact with some truly amazing people.

One of the best bits of last year's was handing an award to a bunch of guys called Reel People, who are a disabled angling club based in King's Lynn.

They've got their own lake and also get around a few other places.

I'm hoping to get out with them some time this year to write a piece about them.

Well done to the guys at the bait company. Fishing's a sport you can enjoy even if you have a fairly profound disability.

I sometimes wonder if we do enough to promote fishing to disabled people.

There are wheelchair swims in several places on a syndicate lake I fish, yet no-one ever seems to use them.

I

Ian Cloke

What's the fishery called Chris? It's always good to know of any disable friendly places mate;-)