Fish - In on Thrybergh

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

For those interested, we are having a mini-fish in on Thrybergh Reservoir near Rotherham on 11th April. Graham and friends will be there as well as Keith Robinson who was secretary of the Northants Specimen Group.

Those of you old enough will know that Keith, together with other notables such as Bob Church, Cyril Inwood, **** Shrive, Frank Cutler etc, pioneered reservoir fly fishing in the 60s and 70s.

This will be a chance to learn a bit about big water techniques.

Thrybergh is run be Rotherham MBC and was built in 1880. It covers an area of about 40 acres, and has the capabilty of growing on some fine fish. The water is alkaline and supports tremendous insect life. It will only cost you about ?11.00 for a day ticket which will give you 4 fish to take home plus catch and release.

Hope to see some of you there. There is a nice little cafe which serves food and a small tackle shop.

Anyone who wants to find out how to get there, send me a PM.

R

Easter Tuesday is a holiday in this part of the world, as is Good Friday.

Viva the People's Republic of South Yorkshire!

I

Ian Cloke

I'll do my best to be there, it would be nice to put the faces to names:))

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It'll be a nice warm-up for the Press Manor Fish-in. I hope 'warm' is the right word to describe it.

R

If the fish are up in the water Graham you will catch on a dry. The water there has that "Rutland" colour and is different to Press Manor. It is very alkaline

It is a true reservoir, has a south and west arms and a fairly long dam wall. Be prepared to do a bit of walking to find the fish. Being able to cast a long way gives you a decided advantage.

S

Sean Meeghan

Hi Ron - I'll be there hoping for a biggie this time.

By the way Easter Tuesday is 18 April so didn't understand your post in reply to Bryan.

R

Sorry Sean, got it wrong.

Thrybergh has now exited the "Noddy - Fish a Chuck" period which is typical of reservoirs in the early season. Now it's a matter of the most skillful angler and the best caster who gets the fish.

Had 5 this morning in a short session, including a three pounder. Fished right into the teeth of a semi-gale. The fish were hammering buzzers and the two I killed were solid with them.

Quite a few who fished from Doncaster Point - blanked.

From now on it's the men who catch the fish!

And I would not prefer it any other way.

I

Ian Cloke

Just been up to Thrybergh, to have a look at a freind fishing there. He had caught 4 trout, 3 on bloodworm style buzzers, and the other one on a black marabou lure. The wind direction hes changed, from the past week, and the fish seem to be moving with it already.

EDIT, must check for spelling mistakes BEFORE posting!!!!

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
Hi Ron,

what time will you be starting? I'm in leicester on business and driving down the M6 from Yorks at some point, may try and get meeting in the afternoon and fish the morning.

Cheers

Rich

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Me and my mate will be aiming to get there about 10am.

R

10 am sounds about right for me.

R

I only have to roll out of bed and I'm there.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
Hi Ron,

Please can you give me a website, post code etc for Thyberg and I'll have a look where it is etc?

Cheers

Rich

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
Thanks Ian,

I'll be there from 9:00 through 1:00. I'll then carry on to Leicester. Looking forward to meeting a few of you guys. See you at the tackle shop/ticket office at 10:00.

Cheers
Rich

I

Ian Cloke

Is this still going ahead? I'll be there (hopefully) but wont be able to fish:((

R

It is.

I'll be there about 10 am.

Weather looks quite decent, a bit of cloud and rain around.