Crappie

Ian Alexander

Reaction score
OK, I know this isn't specifically game fishing. It isn't about trout or Salmon. But last year, I fished Fort Phantom lake in Abilene, Texas and landed a tasty black Bass of 2 and a half pounds caught on a popper fly.
It was a balsa bodied fly with rubber legs and turkey feather tail.

This year, I am in time for a much celebrated panfish called a "Crappie"- pronounced "croppy". There are many ways to catch this agressive predator. Minnow baits seem to be the best with worms-(nightcrawlers) a close second on bobbers(float fishing) and jigger baits and tiny spinners too; all on about 4lb line.
BUT, if it's warm enough and the fish have moved into the shallows which they do to breed, then fly is a distinct killer. Streamers about minnow size and anything that could annoy them. I reckon fritz's could catch too?
Anyone here fished for these widespread North American fish before?
Everything on the web is pretty basic stuff. I'd appreciate any feedback.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I have fished many times for Bluegill Sunfish which are closely related to the Crappie. Both are of the American Sunfish family.

Only one method for these fish and that is the fly rod. Small nymphs, such as damsels work like a treat. Bait fishing is just too mundane. They are some of the easiest fish to catch in the world and fly fishing means that you have to use some skill at least.

I hate catching fish with methods that demand little skill.

Ian Alexander

Reaction score
That is a surprise Ron. I never gave nymphs a thought. If the water is warm enough I will definately give that a go. I have also used tiny spinner baits with the fly rod in the past. Must admit, bait fishing isn't my first choice.

S

Sean Meeghan

Also try typing crappies on the fly into Google or similar

Ian Alexander

Reaction score
This is excellent. Many thanks to everybody. I have more than enough stuff now. Looks like I'll be paying a visit to Sweetwater lake. The crappie are fishing well, close in too, so the fly is a distinct possibility.
I am also taking my tying stuff. Never know, might get a local pattern to try.
Even the odd bass-black is likely. Weather is in the low eighties just now. Summer hasn't started yet so the fish are high in the water. Abilene hits 100+ by July and the fish go very deep til autumn.

R

If you want lots of Black Bass, and in Texas they mainly have the Large Mouth variety, get up close to snags, sunken trees, lilies, rocks etc. You won't find many bass in open water, except at night.

This sort of fishing demands a boat and strong tackle. I have caught bass at depths in excess of 40 feet in South Africa during the heat of the day in summer.

Ian Alexander

Reaction score
About this time of year Ron, they collect near some submerged scrub at the eastern end of the lake. sunken mesquite trees too. I had them snap at my large flies and poppers.
As the weather hots up, they congregate at the dam wall where it gets to 40 feet deep. After June, not much chance of getting them til end september.
The water is quite clear just now and the fish are used to bright sun :)

R

I used to fish a lake that had a large partly submerged willow tree in the middle in about 8 feet of water.

Every spring, various birds used to nest in that tree, especially a variety of finch. I often fished next to that tree from my float tube as it was the home to a couple of monster large mouth bass. I have seen fledgling birds drop out of the nests, only to be eaten in a great swirl by old bucket mouth. On a few occasions I have seen grass snakes swim to their doom under that tree.

Then I devised a long "Fly" (fly fishing only allowed here) from a squirrel tail armed with a 2/0 hook to 10 lb tippet.

I hooked one of those bass fair and square, only to be dragged into the mass of sunken roots.

The problem is still there as far as I know.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
I've fished extensively in upstate New York for pan fish and crappies on the fly, all Ron's advice on nymphs counts, I would also add this pattern, A small chenoble ant, with rubber legs to give plenty of action popped along the surface with regular breaks in retrieve (when a lot of the takes come).

Bear in mind though if you get a monster take and hook a fish you cannot move you may have to pull for a break, chances are it'll be a snapping turtle!!! Ive hooked a few in my time!!

R

Snapping Turtles Rich!!

Yes we used to get the darned things in SA too.

I once hooked a whopper fishing floating crust for carp.

Horrible things!!

Ian Alexander

Reaction score
Hi y'all!
Got back friday afternoon.
Had a great time- unforgetable. Fly fished for crappie but no luck.
All the blokes near me were using minnows on paternoster rigs.
I DID get three sunfish(hybrid) on a pheasant tail nymph which I'd tied with a pearlescent wincase. But it was very slow. But then, the weatehr was 95 to a 100f every day except the last!
I changed to minnows the second day and the fish came thicj and fast. I had a nice blue cat and a channel cat as well as a white bass of about 2 pounds and eight keepable crappie.
My brother in law- a navajo indian, and his wife cooked them up on a barby one evening in Toyah on south west Texas.
Went hunting for Javalinas and coyotes and jack rabbits too.
Missed a nice Javalina which moved really fast.
I had trouble sighting with the AR15 I was using.
But the jackrabbit were too easy with a ruger .22 semi auto rifle.It was very accurate.
The cats on the ranch fed royally tho.

You just can't beat Texan hospitality.
Next year, I have been invited to ride the rodeo parade in Pecos- one of the oldest rodeos in the world.
Not sure about that one- haven't ridden a horse in over 20 years.