Carp off the top

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I had a go at some monster carp on a local pool last week I was fishing floating dog biscuits I managed a real Jimi Hendrix kung Fu cast and landed one right on his nose I was getting very excited till a lad came up on his motorbike and asked me whether I was catching

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
MarkTodd.................you obviously know a different class of women to me.....

Lord Paul...nice catch but two lost fish..was this a miss on the strike?

The reason I ask is that I used to lose fish mainly because I was using a hook that was too small for the size of bread AND I was hooking the bread in such a way that it didn't come through the bread on the strike....I now use either a size 2 or 4 and pass the hook through one edge of the bread and then sit the opposite edge of the bread in the bend of the hook (hence the big hook!)with the line sitting against the crumb side.
This gives a good hold when casting and depending on which way up the bread lands the fish are hooked in either the top or bottom lip...
I would be lying to say I hook every 'take' but I don't miss many.

Another method which works well (when I want the bread to stay in one place) is 'anchored crust' where I use a bomb to reach the desired spot,release the line and let the large crust float to the surface.......the bread hooking method is the same and it works well even in water 10' deep but the bread has to be big and it takes time to reach the surface!!

As a matter of interest and because you may do things differently (and for the benefit of others not familiar with surface fishing) what sort of set-up do you use? Obviously works as you landed four fish!

Personally I love this form of carp fishing-so much better than sitting behind the rods-and no heavy bags to lug around!!

tortoise100

Reaction score
Fly fish for carp it is so much better .

I had 5 on friday in 2 hours and lost two .

Compared to two fish from one lad fishing traditional controller .

with the fly you actually aim at the fish and they just don't spook it's amazing .

I now have one rod cast out with a nash surface bolt rig on an alarm I can forget about(if I can be bothered to set it up) and then fly fish the other aiming at the fish .

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Where did you go m'lud ? I had a crack at west pines and struggled on Friday.

Westend Jimmy

---------- Post added at 14:45 ---------- Previous post was at 14:39 ----------

MarkTodd.................you obviously know a different class of women to me.....

Lord Paul...nice catch but two lost fish..was this a miss on the strike?

The reason I ask is that I used to lose fish mainly because I was using a hook that was too small for the size of bread AND I was hooking the bread in such a way that it didn't come through the bread on the strike....I now use either a size 2 or 4 and pass the hook through one edge of the bread and then sit the opposite edge of the bread in the bend of the hook (hence the big hook!)with the line sitting against the crumb side.
This gives a good hold when casting and depending on which way up the bread lands the fish are hooked in either the top or bottom lip...
I would be lying to say I hook every 'take' but I don't miss many.

Another method which works well (when I want the bread to stay in one place) is 'anchored crust' where I use a bomb to reach the desired spot,release the line and let the large crust float to the surface.......the bread hooking method is the same and it works well even in water 10' deep but the bread has to be big and it takes time to reach the surface!!

As a matter of interest and because you may do things differently (and for the benefit of others not familiar with surface fishing) what sort of set-up do you use? Obviously works as you landed four fish!

Personally I love this form of carp fishing-so much better than sitting behind the rods-and no heavy bags to lug around!!

The two I lost were one because the hook pulled out after about a minute in to the fight and the second was when the 4lb line broke

I used a Drennan carp wasggler rod - 12ft, Shimano 2500 Stratic with 6lb line to 4lb hook link

Size 10 hook

THe rod allows a good fight without ever feeling you are loosing the battle but not to stiff as to be boring if the fish are below 6lb

THe 4 I ahd were between 6 and 7lb

Once the summers comes I will be using either a 13 foot 1.75 barbel rod for targeting bigger carp in double fisgures or a TFG 8-10ft all rounder both with straic with maybe8 lb line on or 6lb strraight thru to the hook

quickcedo

Reaction score
The best tip i have for floater fishing with bread is don't use crust if the fishery rules dictate small hooks only. Use a massive piece of flake instead and just sqeeze the bit on the hook so it floats. This allows the hook to pull free very easily.
And yes I do know some "different women" Oh hang on the wife's looking. Sorry that should have read I USED to know some different women.

gremlin

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The best tip i have for floater fishing with bread is don't use crust if the fishery rules dictate small hooks only. Use a massive piece of flake instead and just sqeeze the bit on the hook so it floats. This allows the hook to pull free very easily.
And yes I do know some "different women" Oh hang on the wife's looking. Sorry that should have read I USED to know some different women.

Do you mean squeezw the main lump of bread on the line and the smaller piece below it on the hook?.............hello btw.

quickcedo

Reaction score
I just pull a piece off the slice about 2" across. Fold it over the line, squeeze and pull the hook into it. If you squeeze too much it'll sink. This goes very soft in the water very quickly and the hook pulls through at the slightest touch. This size of bait looks stupid on a size 10 or 12 hook but it works very well.