Shimano Aerlex 8000 Drag Help

K

keith reid

I have an 8000 aerlex reel which i bought 2nd hand over a year ago_Only now have i actually tried it out.There was a baitrunner conversion on it, but i took it off.The drag does seem to work reasonably well, but without a ratchet...it doesn't go click click,click when you pull line off.I am sure it should ! Any ideas. ? Thanks in advance, Keith.

B

Big Rik

don't think it should.

A good drag will release line smoothly with the spool just rotating.

Spools that click are normally found on pre 1970's fixed spools and on the drag on some multipliers.

K

keith reid

most of my other reels have a ratchet, including my shimano/abu freeliner etc.....

B

Big Rik

Ok, you asked if it should have, I said it shouldn't, if you've already made your mind up that it should, then send it off to be repaired.

Welsh Goff I Do luv My Sheep

Reaction score
My Pair of Aerlex xs8000 reels clutches click never noticed it before, but there again they are only used for spod and marker work.
(I just went and tried them)

F

Frothey

just stick a playing card in it like we used to put in the wheels on our bikes....hey presto lovely clicking noise.

K

keith reid

Sorry Rik , didn't mean to hack you off, but I am not sure....what you said about reels having to be pre 1970s didn't strike me as correct thats all...another forum also said they DIDN'T click!! Here someone has one that does! I suppose I'd best contact Shimano and ask them.....Thanks for the replies!

B

Bob Watson

All my shimanos, have an audible click/tick but it doesn't effect the spools rotation ie, you can't feel any judder or vibration

K

keith reid

got it sorted....iot SHOULD click.There is a wee clicker in the spool...spring on mine is stretched...off to felindre to get it sorted, thanks for the help.