what time of year?

catman

Reaction score
What time of year is it best to target barbel? I have never caught a barbel and would appreciate any other tips and tactics as well.

Rob Swindells

Reaction score
As above catman ! anytime bud, some say autumn and winter some say summer. certainly bigger fish around in autumn and winter. for a novice I would personaly say summer though, find a barbel river, locate some barbel with a good set of polarising sunglasses and fish for them :)

Rob Swindells

Reaction score
In fact bud there's no need to go filling in rivers with bait for barbel at all! just a few free offerings is all it takes to get a scent or tatse trail going, catch one or two and move on. Roving the river banks from swim to swim works best for me on the smaller size rivers.

J

Jeff Woodhouse

Izaak Walton favoured anytime between April and November. And then they introduced the close season!

I wouldn't bother before mid-July, but then anytime is good up to the end of the season. It all depends on the weather and this year has not been good. Low, clear, cold water.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Barbel are amongst the easiest fish to catch once you have located them. In midsummer, barbel are generally located in the most oxygenated areas, below weir pools for example.

Later on, they move out in seach of food.

If you are fishing small rivers such as the Ouse, or very clear rivers such as the Hampshire Avon, you can often locate them by sight.

On big rivers such as the Trent, this is virtually impossible, but there is one thing that most barbel love and that is underwater snags combined with a gravel bottom. The outside of bends and undercut banks also provide good barbel spots.

The best conditions to fish for barbel is during and immediately after a good flush of warm water produced by rain from the south west, especially in winter.

On many waters barbel do not like bright sunlight and your best chances of catching them are in the evening just after the direct rays of the sun have left the water, or at night.

C

chris 2

September and October.Its starting to cool down a bit then and they go on a good feed ready for the cooler months.

eric walker

Reaction score
jeff we should be like scotland no closed season it must come soon just like the still waters have been scrapped . when you look this week would have been great for the rivers

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Always is like that.

March is typical - "In like a lion, out like a lamb."

Personally I think the river close season should me May, June and half of July. This is the time when most species spawn.

eric walker

Reaction score
that right ron in fact i ve been fishing the severn when the barbel are spawning in late june and hundreds of them and you wont get a bite there only interested in one thing randy gets lol frankly some people from high up ned to look into these seasons . carp spawn when its right for them thats usually late june or july they can spawn earlier if the temps right but mainly in july .personally cant see the point of a closed season . these days . some say nesting of birds etc etec but thats a joke as when the weather is ok we have all the canoes and dogs etc out . you only have to look at the wye valley in spring you can bet them canoes and dogs are out

chubber

Reaction score
First time I went was june and I was told not to expect too much as you normally have to wait for the dark to fall before bites will come. We ended up catching six between us and lost a few, bites came throughout the day. I was told that the day we had was extraordinary, but June is the month for me, it's my favourite month!