Woody's little problem

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Jeff.
I had a look at your review Here about the Fishrite Rig Wallet.

Did you find a sollution to stop the line kinking if you doubled it over to make a 12" hooklink?
It is that or a rig bin, but I would prefer the wallet for better storage.

Anybody else got any ideas?

J

Jeff Woodhouse

Like I said in the article, braid links (even Mantis and Snake-Bite coated materials) are fine because the bent bit soon comes out and if not entirely it doesn't affect the performance at all.

The only thing you can do with nylon and fluorocarbons is to buy a packet of notice board pins from Staples etc. They are longer of course and will dent the foam but they are capstan shaped to retain the line.

However, I wouldn't make the line too tight as it will then develop a set. In some cases you might be able to remove it by running the line across your trousers quickly to develop heat and then stretch it firmly whilst it cools again. Not always recommended, depends on the line.

J

Jeff Woodhouse

Other than that, Baz, I don't have any little problems.

Anything else we have discussed by email in the past I have asked you to keep confidential. Can't help noticing the growing number of emails I get these days asking if I have "performance problems" and I wonder who is nominatiing me for these.

C

Chris Bishop

Use bins for things that kink or don't like being pulled through 180 degrees.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The Rig Bin

But the Rig Wallet does work for longer lengths of braid and mono if you use the capstan shaped pins as Jeff suggests. I've been folding my longer hook lengths around them like this for a few years and if you leave them slack there is only a suggestion of a bend in the line that soon comes out.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Thanks lads, I'm off to get the wallet this morning. I suppose the pins could always be nipped down and resharpened.

T

tom riordan

Get a box of map pins from wh smiths or suchlike, they dont cost much and have capstan heads as Graham suggests.

J

Jeff Woodhouse

I have a Gardner Rig Bin. It should say "RIG BIN" in white letters on a black backgrond on the label.

Unfortunately, its a few years old now and when the kids were at home I left it out one night. A little judicious work with a black marker and now its says -

PIG BIN

J

Jeff Woodhouse

You're right Tom, they're MAP pins.

Notice board pins are like big plastic headed thumb tacks.

B

Bob Watson

Make your own rig bins, Scrounge the containers that eczema treatment creams and such like come in. Liquid nail a length of pipe lagging to the lid, one rig bin. I'd like to be paying ?6.00 for a shop bought.

fred hall

Reaction score
In my ignorance I just use pole float winders to store my hooklengths, both mono and braid. They work fine.