Catfish Livebait

catman

Reaction score
What size of livebait, rig, and type of livebait are ideal for catfish?

D

David Marrs

I've only fished a few times for the Cats in this country, my takes occurred when fishing 3oz<or so> Rudd livebaits popped up near the surface. That said, the lake I fished was only a couple of feet deep and the Rudd predominate, no drama there then, the Cats must be used to slurping them from the top. Indeed, every now and again, the silence was shattered as a big Cat rolled on the surface, as it scranned another Rudd.

In Spain, the rig which has proved the best to me was a 'free roving' Eel, hooked with a single hook through the tail.

T

The Piker

Small carp,say about 4 to 6 ozs.

Last all night-if not taken...........

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Many (maybe even most) of the big cats caught from the Ebro are now being caught on halibut pellet, usually over a pre-baited area.

On the cat waters in this country, where they share the water with carp, more are caught on boilies and pellets than anything else. Usually accidentally when carp fishing.

There's nothing quite so satisfying as catching a cat on a livebait when deliberately targeting them though.

T

The Piker

Well said G.M.

I think most cats are caught on pellets not only in Spain,but this country as well.

It only goes to show the pulling power of pellets,that they now dominate cat and carp fishing.
Not to mention barbel......

But Graham as you point out,the thrill of a livebait float sliding away is one of the best ways of getting heart stopping excitment.