Polperro , Cornwall

E

EC

I am going here in a few weeks, what is the fishing like?

Coarse or sea?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
There are some pools round there Eddie but for some reason they don't come up on google. I remember a couple of places used to advertise regularly at this time of the year in AT but my memory being what it is I can't remember, which is not much help to you though is it.

Polperro is my favourite place to visit in the whole of the UK, I love it as much now as the first time I went there with my mother and father, its the perfect Cornish fishing village. I've never actually stayed there for a holiday but I've always wanted to, mebbe one day.

This may help a little mate.

C

chris 2

Went to Polperro last year,good pub to go to is the Blue Peter.Drank in there a few times and there was always a few blokes with made up rods in the bar.It looked like they`d been spinning in the sea some where close.Great place to drink though and just up the road The Three Pilchards great place to eat.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
It's lovely down there Eddie, have a great time mate.
I think Frothey lives down that way, might be worth an email?

New Kid

Reaction score
Went to polperro 2 years ago Eddie.Another good place to eat and drink is The Crumplehorn Inn just as you come into polperro.Locals are very friendly. They will put you right.The cornish pasties are some of the best ive ever tasted.Get em down ya mate .Have a good time and let us know how you get on.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Eddie it might be possible to do a bit of advance research by getting tel no's of some tackle shops in that area and giving them a bell in advance. Tackle dealers and tel no's can be found on the site.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Shillamill Lakes are near Looe which is not all that far from Polperro, and they have a reasonable reputation I believe.

If you like your sea fishing though Eddie I reckon that would be the better option, easy to find, its that wet blue stuff you can see from the pub.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Graham, I forgot about Shillamill.
Big perch! I witnessed a 4lber there a few years ago.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Not sure if you can fish Whiteacres on a day ticket and there are those two lakes on a split level, near Newquay.

Smokedodger

Reaction score
Eddie, have a look on swlakestrust.org.uk, I,m sure they have one or two lakes near where you're going and I think Gwinear lakes aren't too far away and have a look on Whitacres website to check on day tickets.
It's a lovely part of the world down here and bring your sea tackle!!

E

EC

Thanks everyone, I'll probably ring a tackle shop and see what they suggest.

I am not really into the commercial scene so unless its a 'natural' or 'more natural' mixed fishery at least, I'll probably just take some light sea gear and do a bit of spinning, unless the locals advise otherwise!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
If you can find some nice rocky channels Eddie, you might get some bass or pollock.

Ask about the two lakes on a split level, can't remember the name, but they are deffo not commercial style lakes, carp, tench and bream, near Newquay.

Good luck mate.

Smokedodger

Reaction score
All the swlakestrust.org.uk venues are natural reservoirs and very rarely do you get more than dozen anglers on them!!!

G

Gary Knowles

Use carp of pike gear to fish for wrasse and pollock from the rocks.

Use live hardback crabs or live prawns as bait both gathered at low tide.

Great fun and better than sitting around a commercial mate...

C

chris 2

Tallan Bay about half mile from Polperro,very rocky next to the beach.I did some spinning around here looks ideal but didnt catch nothing.Spent more time crabbing with the kids,role on summer.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
That's the one Robert, Gwinier lakes, tench on bread flake close in, on the float.
Deffo not a commercial!