Ireland fishing

P

Paul Clarke

Evening all , Does anyone know of any websites that will give me information on waters/rivers/loughs for specific areas of Ireland ? I've just booked two weeks in a riverside cottage on the upper Shannon in the village of Leitrim in County Leitrim for the last week in september - 1st week in october . I realise that there must be a huge number of places to fish around the area ( its approx 4 miles from Carrick on Shannon )and i'd like to at least have some kind of targets before i go.

If anyone has any personal info on the surrounding area , that would be welcome too.

Cheers , in advance

Paul

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

If you want good tench fishing, get a boat out on Lake Balgahard near Ballinimore.

It has tench to 9lbs and thundering great rudd - proper rudd up to 3 lbs.

I last fished there in 2002.

It's a lovely lake with also some big pike.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Around Carrick there are plenty of places to try. Thre's a tackle shop virtually on the bridge in Carrick, pop in there to get some info. I would guess you need plenty of groundbait and a good supply of hookbaits. It might be worth "googling" the shop. Then call them and make sure they have bait ready for your arrival.
I would guess that owners of the cottage may have info available.

Colin

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Try here

Tooman Angling & Leisure
Bridge Street, Carrick on Shannon, Co. Leitrim.
Tel: 0035378 21872

Colin

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
take a look in the anglers mail...if i remember correctly there is a write up every week about about fishing in ireland towards the back of the mag.
there is a bloke based in rugby i think who works in conjuction with the irish tourist board??? who`s details should be in the mag i think.... he sent me loads of stuff a few years ago about various regions i was intrested in.
sorry i cant think of the blokes name or address at the moment.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
just had a look in the angling times and there is a write up on ireland in there with various names and addresses.
i`m sure the irish tourist board will have a website with various fishing related links etc.......

P

Paul Clarke

Thanks for the replies. Looks very promising . The only problem is the 6 months wait...........

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Plenty of time to stock up on waterproofs then. :eek:)

R

Robert Woods 1

Ron,
I was fishing Bolgnard off stages and saw the biggest perch I've ever seen jump out of water after fry. Also my mate got butted by rams on way to swims...!!!

fred hall

Reaction score
Toomans in Carrick on Shannon is a proper tackle shop so ask them nearer the time. Now some words of warning from someone who has fished Ireland several times in recent years - a lot of the fishing is not anything like as good as it was a few years back but the tourism literature will (fairly obviously) not reflect this sad fact. I will personally vouch that some of the enticing fishy photos in some of the brochures and even in AT etc are a few years old.For example I would say to anyone contemplating a visit to Belturbet on the River Erne,which was my favourite Irish venue, don't bother because the deterioration in the fishing there is heartbreaking.
The powers that be in Irish fisheries management have only recently faced up to the problem and it will be interesting to see what explanations, and solutions,they come up with. Make no mistake, this is starting to cost the Irish economy serious money.
So having got that lot off your chest Fred you won't be going to Ireland in the near future will you?
Naw - I'm off to Loch Gowna for a week in mid September to celebrate the start of my retirement. Hope springs eternal!