nash barbel rods

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i am thinking about purchasing either a fox barbel duo rod 1.5 test curve or a nash barbel elite 1.5 test curve.
my good friend yoggy who posts on this site has a fox rod and ive handled it and am very impressed with it and with the extra tips i could use it as a chub rod as well.trouble is though,i already have a john wilson avon quiver system rod for chubbing and i am more than happy with that.
now climax tackle in sheffield are doing some bloody good deals on nash rods and i could get a nash stillwater float rod as well as i am in the market for a waggler rod.
right,heres what is praying on my mind though....on friday night a work colleague of mine was showing me his nash 12ft 1.75 test curve barbel rod when a length of the tip just snapped off in his hand....this rod was brand new and never used!!!
this was a clean break,no splinters or cracks running down the blank and we suspect a dodgy batch of carbon perhaps/some sort of fault of some description.thankfully the shop who he purchased it from are sorting it out with no quibbles whatsoever.i`m just worried that if i buy a nash rod then its gonna snap on me as well and heavens forbid it snapping while playing a fish!!!
perhaps i`m just beeing bloody foolish??? i do value other peoples opinions especially those of the more experienced angler,so what do you guys reckon???

P

pons

A mate of mine Paul Hamilton ,who does honest assesments for Anglers Mail,has used the two pound and one .seven five Nash Barbel rods for over a year ,and thinks they are excellent.
I was quite impressed when I had a go with them.
I would have thought there was little to choose between the two brands,but personally I would recomend a 1.75 model without a quivertip for most Barbel work.
If it broke,which is normally quite rare, I am sure they would replace it.
Pons.

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
I have the stalker 9ft -bought from climax for ?30
not used it yet but it looks a decent bit of kit-especially with a Ron Thomson price:)

Matt

Neil Degg

Reaction score
Hi Nick

I've got the 1.75 T.C. brought it from climax tackle to use as a second rod on the couple of times I'm likely to fish the Lower Severn.
Up to now it seems a good rod especially for ?40.00.
Search the reviews page for Nash barbel rods
Gary Knowles reviewed this rod last January.

Hope this is of some help

Neil

G

Gary Knowles

I have a pair of the Nash Barbel elite and they cannot be faulted when it comes to value for money.

As Nick says there is a review that I have done somewhere on this website but I have used them for two seasons now. No rod bags, or cases used, strapped to the outside of my quiver, bounced around in the car, dropped on gravel, etc and they are as good as ever.

I have the 2lb models as i wanted a rod for serous snag fishing or flood water but for an all round rod I'd go for the 1.75tc version

R

Richard Bartlett

Nick,
As this is a focussed reply & not a speculative post, I hope no-one takes it as a contravention of forum etiquette.

Take a look on the Classified's section - I've a couple of Nash TriTips for sale.

Y

yoggy

OI oi,heres my pennies worth mate,as pons rightly says there is little to choose between the two brands.Both Fox and Nash are decent brands so at the end of the day its just down to personal choice really.I wouldn`t worry to much about that "snapped" rod.I`m sure there are 100`s of other Nash rod users who can vouch for their quality.

Personally speaking i think that the Fox rod has the edge on quality and finish.But this is my own opinion.

One more thing Nick,because of the small rivers that we fish a 1.5tc is more than adequate for your needs.As you know i`ve had Barbel to over 12lb with this rod and had no problems whatsoever.
IMHO a 1.5 tc rod would far better suit your needs.
1.75 and 2lb tc rods are fine in the right situation,[large rivers,snaggy swims etc],but as we fish small rivers and streams,you will definately be "over-gunned" mate.

Y

yoggy

Nice one mate,if you definately want one and cant get over,give me a bell and i`ll pick one up for you.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
thanks for the replies....i am now the proud owner of a fox barbel duo....i think it just oozes quality....even the rod bag and tube it comes in are quality items....overall its just the job and i`m pleased as punch!!!