I thrashed the big boys

G

Gray Lucas

Having put away my pike gear I decided to get out on my first carp session of the year. I only started carp fishing in 2005 and thought I would give it a good go this year. So, with the weather starting to improve and having been pretty consistant through the previuos week off I go to a local fishery. I arrived at about 0600 (fishing is 0630 to dusk about 1900).

On arrival I headed for the specemin lake about 2.5 acres. A stiff breeze was blowing along the length of the lake. I parked up. I had about 30 mins before I could start and curbing my eagerness to get at it I decided on taking a look around the lake. I happend on a group of three anglers, I could have easily missed them as they were all heavily camouflaged (anglers and gear) to the extent that they all resembled a very large mobile bush. It was like a tiny village, three bivvies each with it's own bed chair and cooking facilities a mass of gear including eight rods and luggage (for about 10 hours fishing?) all having been transported to the swim on very fine looking trollies (vehicles parked 15 yards away). They looked like they knew what they were doing so I ventured over hoping for a little advice and a few tips on fishing this water. I was met by a kind of nervous silence they knew I was there but nobody seemed to be willing to look at me.

"Morning" I ventured. No reply. "Morning." No reply. "Good swim this is it?" I persisted. "Nowhere else worth fishing on this lake," said the bivvie to my right. "Oh right," I said and feeling like a complete outsider decided to end my friend making excersise as the bait boat made it's third trip to the golden spot about forty yards out. Not one of them managed a good morning. I didn't even see a face.

I took a walk to the top end of the lake and opted for a swim that had a large over hanging bush (or was it more well hidden carpers) on a point of the bank into which every conceivable type of debris was blowing. This will do nicely. I got the gear out and set up to the sound of the bait boat making yet another trip to the far flung fishing grounds.

I havn't got a lot of gear and being on a tight budget it didn't cost the earth. Throughout the day I had loads of line bites so I knew the fish were there and I kept on fishing and baiting (sweetcorn) my chosen spot which was right up against the bush about five feet from the bank. I took the occasional glance at my cammo clad comrades in the only good swim on the lake where there seemed to be a lot of chin rubbing and pointing going on. Oh, and more trips by the bait boat.

Anyway about one o'clock I got my first run and after a short fight I landed a nice common of 18.5lb. I was shaking but very happy. I cast out to the same spot and after 15 mins another run which brought me another common of 13lb. It was now time for me to pack up and head for home.

On the way back to the car I nearly went over to ask how the large mobile bush had got on but thought the better of it. I stopped off to speak to the fishery manager and found out that that the anglers that were doing a very good impession of Epping forest had caught two Tench and a few Bream.

A very warm satisfied feeling swept over me.

On that particular day I had the only place worth fishing because I thought about it and found it. Just because a swim has been noted for turning up some decent fish doesn't mean that all the fish in the lake live there. I was fishing in a very awkward wind but I knew that it was blowing anything edible into it. My session cost me the price of my ticket ?4 and two tins of sweetcorn (Tesco value). I fished with only one rod and with the conviction that I had chosen my swim and would stick it out, fish or no fish.

matt

Reaction score
Way to go Gray. Take no notice of the ignorant t~~~##s

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

You can bet that your every move was being monitored. Good effort though mate, well done.

L

little Stu!

A really interesting read Gray, you should write articles for FM.

I know how you feel though, some people can be so precious it stupid!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Talk to me about it Gray.

When I returned to this country I got the same sort of stoney silence from many anglers, especially carp anglers.

One bloke who I managed to talk to on a Oxfordshire gravel pit, suddenly turned to me and told me that he couldn't understand why he was talking to me!

The only advice I can give you is that you are obviously a much better carp-angler than the ultra-cult mob. Think about your fishing and at this time of year - follow the wind!

There is nothing I enjoy more than upsetting carp anglers of this ilk.

G

Gray Lucas

Well what do you know, four responses. Looks like there are some decent guys out there.
In reply to little Stu and the article writing thing I am toying with the idea of keeping a diary on FM purely from a novices angle. this will hopefully gain me more information and advice on carp fishing and any feedback could be used as a reference point to any other newcomers to my chosen area of our noble sport.
I need advice and want advice and probably so do many other novices out there. Maybe there are some that don't know how to ask the questions for fear of sounding silly or that their question sounds so basic that they do not think it's worth asking. So maybe an article like this could be used as a sort of questions and answers page without
having to ask the question personaly.
Is this a good idea ? I don't know ( yet more advice needed !! ).
Many thanks for the replies.
Gray

F

Frothey

sounds like a great idea Gray, some of the best stuff comes up when people ask sensible questions! some of stu and riks stuff from when stu was just getting into carping (from match/tenching) was a great read if you can find it

well done with the fish :)

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Fantastic, I would have not been able to resist a thinly disguised gloating session over at the campsite though.

No questions are too basic or silly if you don't know the answer, everyone has to start somewhere, unfortunately some start with several grands worth of kit and no idea how to use it.

Good well written articles offering sound advice are always nice to see.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Congratulations Gray. It would nice if you could share some pics with us all?

L

Les Clark

Well done Gray ,gut feeling and common sense ,a great combination .

C

Chris Bishop

Gray, was this in Norfolk by any chance..?

Water sounds familiar from your description.

G

Gray Lucas

Malc, My digi camera packed up just after Christmas and I haven't got round to replacing it yet but the way things are going I think I had better get one sorted (Looks like it's ebay then tonight).
Chris, The water is in Lincolnshire not far from louth.
Thanks for the responses
Gray

G

Gray Lucas

Just come off ebay and am now the proud owner of a second hand digital camera and cammo jacket and trousers (wife doesn't know yet but she will find out, oh yes she will find out either by confession or attrition.
So that?s the camera issue sorted but what about the cammo gear? Questions are raised.
1. Will it give me magical powers so that I can catch a 30lb carp from any swim that I choose? NO.
2. Will it help me fit in with the crowd? PROBABLY.
3. Will it give me the ability to shape shift into any small tree, bush or shrub that I fancy? ABSOLUTLY.
4. Will it help me to blend in with the background when fish spotting in shallow water? I HOPE SO.

Gray

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

5. Will it help me get my card checked two or three times a day? and disturbed from my slumber at 2.am. in the morning? And will it get anything I say on this forum cross examined? Too right it will.

F

Frothey

i was going to write in my post that i bet you had cammo by the summer.....

just the bivvy, pod, barrow and baitboat to go!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Consult The Monk if you really want to look the part.

njb51

Reaction score
he's got the camo gear..............there is no turning back for you now Gray!

G

Gray Lucas

Looks like the cammo gears a hit then. Hope it fits when it gets here. But hey, who cares turn-ups are in, I hope!!
Frothey. On the subject of bait boats my budget will not allow for such a luxury but I am considering developing some kind of multi frequency control box with which I could direct any bait boat on the lake into my swim, deposit it's cargo of goodies and then act erratically as though a malfunction has occurred while screaming at the unsuspecting and bewildered owner to get his bloody bait boat out of my swim.

Thanks for the replies
Gray