Roach Record

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I hope it's from a river as was reported late, however I suspect not. Arena Essex? An undisclosed southern carp venue?

If caught by design, well done!

Adam King 3

Reaction score
From the Total Fishing Gear Forum!

"By all accounts, the roach record has been broken by a bloke called Keith Berry. It weighed in at 1oz over the British record and 1lb 5oz over the Irish record. Caught in Ireland, apparently the angler isn't going to claim the uk record though. So I hear, all will be revealed in AT next week. It has been 100%verified as a pure roach and the weight has been verified too"

Richard Lee 2

Reaction score
We should run a book, Matt.

3-1 gravel pit (fed with carp baits)
8-1 late river catch
9-1 small commercial water
10-1 bar

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Pretty sure that for it to be accepted as an Irish record it would have to have been killed for ID purposes. The same situation arose with Simon Parry's rudd record - it was accepted by the BRFC but not the Irish Record Fish Committee. Would hate to think that a fish like this has been killed.

Beecy

Reaction score
If it was caught in Ireland then surely it is not a British record ?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
No true fisherman worth his salt would kill a fish for record purposes. If the Authorities don't trust the word of the angler, scales check and his witnesses plus pictures then he should quietly slide it back into the water safe in the knowledge that he is the winner not the stupid authorities.

If ever there was food for the anti's it would be "Record roach killed just to claim a record" splashed all over angling papers and magazines. Just who do these idiots think they represent anyway, certainly not fishermen.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Sorry Graham but what most of the antis ARE against IS returning fish to the water!

What they are against most of all is us using fish as "playthings".

Richard Lee 2

Reaction score
Not dead. 100 per cent. The guy concerned would never do that. According the the BRFC fish expert, the pics are conclusive. So, providing it is the correct weight, it will be a British record. You should see the photographs. Massive.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Beecy,
Fish caught in Northern Ireland still count as British, as per the current record rudd.

Glad to hear that it has been returned alive and look forward to seeing some pics, must be a stunning fish and a bit of a shock as well.

C

Chris Bishop

Bit bizarre there's been all the debate about roach being imported into Ireland and now an Irish roach takes the record.

My bet's one of the rivers. How about the Bann..?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

If it's caught in Northern Ireland, there's bound to be a bit of a controversy about the fish.

But if it is a roach, caught fairly on rod and line and weighing over the record in the United Kingdom, then it's a record.

Someone is sure to bring up the fact that it was caught "Out of Season".

But it hasn't, because there isn't a close season in Northern Ireland for coarse fish.

Good luck to the captor is what I say.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Never associated Northern Ireland with big roach before, I knew the Bann had a lot of roach at certain times and some big roach/bream hybrids but never heard of really big roach like this if it is the Bann that is.

So what is the biggest roach in N.I. before this anybody know?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

OK, its time I came clean.This Irish stuff is just a smokescreen.I caught the fish from the Hampshire Avon on the last day of the season on bolt rigged hailbut pellet and the fish is currently living in my bath.I hope to set up a syndicate next week.The only rules are that you vacate your pegs when I need a shower.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Seriously , I am looking forward to seeing the pictures tomorrow.