Travel salmon rod advice please gents.....

M

MattyB

Afternoon Gentlemen and Ladies,

I have been given a wonderful opportunity to fish the Aberdeenshire Dee this coming Easter so want to purchase a decent travel salmon rod, ideally not telescopic but in several sections. Can any of you recommend a selection? I want to spend between ?100 to ?200 and would expect to use the rod four or five times a year.
As ever any help you can offer is gratefully received.
Thanks
Matt

S

Shrek

If you want a proper double hander, then I have a Greys GRX 6 piece 15ft #10/11 that I am quite happy with. It's a good progressive rod so ideally suited for me being fairly new to salmon fishing and only cost me ?100 brand new from Foxons.

Tried it out at the weekend with different lines on it and found I got on best with a Rio Windcutter in a #9/10/11, despite the strong wind that was blowing.

If it's not a double hander you're after then a 10ft #7 4 piece rod would be more than adequate for salmon.

R

Richard[reformed fly angler]Huggett

Adrian? Salmon fishing? Good Lord man..rather upper crust!

Sorry MattyB for poaching your post..

S

Shrek

Yep, just have to get the right shade of breeks and jacket and I'm made up!!!!

Ian Alexander

Reaction score
I have never been in the position to fish for salmon. I hope to give it a go in the future.
Adrian's suggestion about the Greys rod seems a good one.
I use greys reels and they are great.

Good luck mate.

D

david bruce 1

Just got Trout and Salmon mag and am looking similar to yourself. They testing 15ft rods. the Fulling Mill Travel World Class Salmon (6 piece) got the 'best on test' despite it competing with three piece rods. At ?199.95 compared with some up to ?900. Got to be considered.

wilbert

Reaction score
MattyB why do you specificly want a travell rod? A 15 footer in 3 or 4 piece will fit in most cars easily and will go in the hold of a plane no probs if its in a secure solid rod tube. I would not use a single hander on the Dee at easter as it would not cope with heavy tubes that you may need to use if its cold or a good sized springer which has to be returned (play them hard and put them back in good shape). The Shakespear Oricle is a good rod and can be found for about ?70ish new you may also want to concidder a good second hand rod too Bruce & Walker Norway is a cracker if you can find one cheep enough. Don't get a fast actioned rod unless you can cast like a god, a medium actioned rod will suit a begginer or someone that doesn't get much practice better. As for a reel buy a reel with a good drag and a reasonable line capacity within your budget save some money for a good line. The Rio Windcutter is great for begginers loads the rod well and turns over heavy tubes too, the multi tip version is about ?130 but will cover just about every situation on the river plus you dont need any spare spools. Hope you get a good outfit and have a good time on the Dee.